Ideas to help early waking DD (3.5) go back to sleep in the morning?

(1 Post)
minipie Wed 23-Mar-16 20:36:41

DD has always been a sleep resister and tends to sleep a bit less than average. However she actually needs average or even more than average amounts of sleep (she has a medical condition which makes her particularly tired). Result=tired, grumpy and difficult DD.

At present she is waking early in the morning, usually 5 something - this morning was the worst at 4.45 (having gone to sleep at 7.45). Obviously she was knackered and had a nap 12-1.15 but was clearly still tired after that.

How on earth can I get her to sleep longer? She is a very "wired" child and as soon as she's awake, she's wide awake and chatting to her toys. If I try to persuade her to go back to sleep she says she isn't tired or can't sleep.

She has a gro clock but this just means she stays quiet(ish) till the sun at 7am rather than going back to sleep.

I wondered about something to help her relax back into sleep - maybe something like Ewan the Dream Sheep but not sure if anyone has ever tried it for a 3yo? Brandy perhaps?

I've also read about wake to sleep but am terrified it may backfire and she'd be awake from 3.30!

Any ideas most welcome...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now