Talk

Advanced search

Awake but doesn't need anything

(12 Posts)
toohardtothinkofaname Sun 20-Mar-16 04:06:42

As far as I know.

Ds goes to bed between 7pm-8pm and will sleep solidly until his 12pm feed. Previously he'd then sleep solidly until 4am feed and again until getting up around 7am.

Now after his 4am feed (and tonight after midnight feed) he wakes up after an hour and just fidgets. Eyes closed, not making a noise, but arms are going and tossing head around. I can't sleep through it because I'm just waiting to be needed and can't seem to settle him into a deeper sleep with white noise, hand on tummy, dummy etc

He's 9 weeks and previously we co-slept with a cocoonababy but I thought we might have been disturbing him so now he's in his nest in the crib, still no change. He settles himself to sleep for day naps & bed so not needing any 'special' handling.

Any thoughts?

toohardtothinkofaname Sun 20-Mar-16 05:05:59

During his awake times there's quite a bit of pumping going on but he doesn't seem like he's in pain, just can't pump & sleep at the same time.

ThirtyNineWeeks Sun 20-Mar-16 05:18:34

It sounds like the discomfort caused by wing; those trapped farts they wrestle with for bloody days hours that are not quite trapped enough to cause pain. If it's not wind could it be he needs a swaddle? Is he, perhaps, going through a leap where his brain is just whirring a bit too much in his sleep? If so, this will pass quickly.

ThirtyNineWeeks Sun 20-Mar-16 05:19:12

*wind. I'm assuming your offspring isn't a chicken!

toohardtothinkofaname Sun 20-Mar-16 05:23:58

Could be a combo of the two. He's just lying wide awake now & when I catch his eye he just laughs. Happy to close his eyes when I cuddle him but they ping open when I put him down again. Do you think I'm putting him to bed too early for this age & he's effectively napping through the early hours?

ThirtyNineWeeks Sun 20-Mar-16 10:22:34

No, you're doing the right thing getting him to bed 7-8. I honestly think you're doing very well with your baby so far; there are always little bumps along the way that don't 'fit' with our chosen routine, but that's babies for you...

toohardtothinkofaname Sun 20-Mar-16 19:26:59

Thank you ThirtyNineWeeks flowers

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sun 20-Mar-16 19:33:17

No advice but ds does the same thing. He is four months and does this about once a week since he was a couple of months old. I normally change his nappy, burp him, get dp to deal with him for a bit if it isn't a work night. Eventually he gets bored and goes back to sleep just as my three year old gets up

SnowWhite26 Sun 20-Mar-16 21:08:35

Hi. My baby did this at that age. She used to make awful grunting noises but didnt seem upset. I nlknow what you mean about not relaxing but think I just left her to it abd she would cry if she really needed me. Another thing I did was give her a dummy which really helped sooth her. She stopped making grunting noises and wiggerly around so much about 3 monthsish. x

toohardtothinkofaname Sun 20-Mar-16 23:51:14

We do the dummy but it just falls out & have to keep putting it back in. He stays awake so long sometimes that he ends up hungry & I have to feed him. Would it just make sense to feed him as soon as he stirs each time or is that just asking for trouble in him always waking up? I can't sleep when he's stirring anyway so we're both just lying awake for over an hour each time just waiting for him to start whinging. Don't think he's got himself back to sleep yet. Feel frustrated & tired. Partner doesn't help when he's stirring, crib too far away and pointless since ds doesn't actually want anything so nothing stops him stirring.

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Mon 21-Mar-16 08:21:09

Ds sleeps in our bed so I try to feed him as soon as he wakes up because it's the easiest thing to do. If he isn't tired he has a feed then wants to play for a while which is much more annoying at 4am.

toohardtothinkofaname Mon 21-Mar-16 19:45:56

I've been reading a sleep book & it sounds like its his active sleep phase of his cycle. Going to try & let him be until he's showing his hunger cues because when he's fidgeting he's not actually awake, he's asleep but just moving round. Don't want to start disturb in his sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now