help me get DD to sleep in her cot

(5 Posts)
GherkinMuncher Sat 19-Mar-16 22:17:19

DD is 12 months old. She is quite good with her solids and is still breast fed (something I'd like to give up soon).

We ended up co-sleeping and have been for the past 6 months. DD goes down in her cot at about 8:30 having been fed to sleep, but tends to wake at about 10 when I go to bed and I can't get her back in the cot. During the night she feeds every two hours or so. I'm pretty sleep deprived and going back to work very soon.

Last night and tonight I've tried the shush, shush, pat, pat method as this worked with DD1. DD2 is having none of it. Both nights she has ended up totally hysterical and vomited last night.

Any advice please?

Jw35 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:38:49

Move the cot into your room for a while. Take a bit longer to pick her up but not so she panics. Lie her next to you but take a bit longer getting your boob out! Little steps to gradually getting her less likely to wake up. Gradually take longer as she starts calming down, eventually move for back in her room. You could stop bf gradually now if you wanted to? I think the co sleeping and bf thing is going to be tough to break but slowly is always kinder IMO

GherkinMuncher Sun 20-Mar-16 06:00:35

Thanks for your reply.
The cot is still in our room. I will try your approach. Think it's going to be difficult, but we'll get there eventually.

AnnaBanana25 Sun 20-Mar-16 07:27:52

Because you mentioned that you want to stop bfing soonish- I used to bf my ds to sleep and saw changes in him settling himself better when I moved on from the direct link of milk to sleep. Our routine was feed downstairs and gradually have more time between transfer. Did it very slowly so he was used to it and now he recognizes the routine and is very happy to go to sleep in his cot. Many night w akings turned into 1 then 0...... we now do get some wake ups but it's gotten better. You might find it makes some difference.

Nan0second Sun 20-Mar-16 16:29:59

Read the "what worked for me" thread. It's gradual retreat and stopping feeding to sleep. It's hard work but pays off brilliantly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now