Talk

Advanced search

9 month old keeps moving around/getting stuck in cot!

(13 Posts)
clurina32 Thu 17-Mar-16 07:50:57

Hi all, so another little problem to add into the mix! My almost 9 month old keeps wriggling about in her cot to the point where she's often turned horizontally (sometimes she does a 180) and is then wedged in the cot. Naturally she doesn't like this at all and we are woken with groaning or screams depending on how uncomfortable she is! Have done a bit of research into how to prevent this from happening and it seems there's nothing that can really help?! Lots of people say bumpers are dangerous, i've tried the line of teddies, she's already in a sleeping bag....none of these things seem to help sad
I feel like we had just turned one corner with her sleep being better and now this is happening and we're being woken up at all hours again!
has anyone been through similar? Was it just a phase?! Any advice gratefully received!

Cathster Thu 17-Mar-16 08:01:49

Have you tried breathe able bumpers? I've just bought these as my DD wriggles so much in her cot she ends up sideways and I was worried about her banging her head on the bars.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K2TNHWM

Or is it that she gets herself wedged because her length takes up the full width of the cot?

fluffikins Thu 17-Mar-16 08:17:50

Maybe the sleeping bag makes it harder for her to move out of the positions, jojo maman baby do a sleep suit thing that's more like a thick legged suit for sleeping, might be worth a try

clurina32 Thu 17-Mar-16 08:38:05

Hey Cathster - thanks for your reply, I was thinking about getting a breathable bumper as that is what other threads have suggested and yes part of the problem is she turns 90 degress and literally gets wedged as shes the same length as the width of the cot!

HI Fluffikins - she's got one of those merino sleeping bags so its extremely easy for her to move in it. Its like wearing an extra item of clothing really. I as actually wondering whether she needs something a bit thicker that stops her from moving so freely?!

Annarose2014 Thu 17-Mar-16 08:41:57

Breathable bumpers. You have to, really.

We also roll up baby sheets/giant muslins and lay them like fat sausages along the sides as "pillows". That seems to be fairly comfortable when mine inevitably winds up horizontal!

clurina32 Thu 17-Mar-16 08:46:52

Yes! I've just rolled up a long towel and put it under her cot sheet to the side she always turns. Am going to experiment now with her morning nap. Fingers crossed......

Would still be interested to hear if this is commonly a phase they grow out of?!! My first born was a little lump and didn't move at all in his cot!

splendide Thu 17-Mar-16 14:53:11

Oh god mine did this!

I'd have to go in and unwedge him, he'd be furious and usually have some limbs sticking randomly out of bars. Grew out of it quite quickly I think. He still moves around loads in his sleep but I think by about a year he was able to unwedge himself usually.

BumWad Thu 17-Mar-16 15:50:17

My 9 month old DS is also doing this! He's in a Grobag but still manages to do a 360 or gets his arm stuck.

I've just today bought a breathable cot liner - the alternative to a bumper. I've bought the deeper ones too which are for when the cot is at a lower level. Hopefully will arrive tomorrow! smile

Kaz4755 Thu 17-Mar-16 16:32:35

Hi bumwad(great name!)

Please can you tell me where you got the deeper bumpers from? I have got two lots of the shallower ones but I don't think it will be long before dd realises and puts her hands through the middle! Thank you!

Nan0second Thu 17-Mar-16 17:22:28

I wouldn't recommend breathable bumpers as they are a strangulation risk as well as a smothering risk...
It's just something they need to learn how to undo really sad

BumWad Thu 17-Mar-16 19:51:39

Kaz this is the one I bought:
www.babycurls.co.uk/nursery/Cot-Bumpers-Cot-Liners/breathable-baby-mesh-cot-liner?product_id=6068

I wouldn't recommend breathable bumpers as they are a strangulation risk as well as a smothering risk...

How?

clurina32 Sat 19-Mar-16 14:28:03

just to update - the rolled up towel under sheet has helped quite a lot, however we have had one incident where she managed to edge up to end of cot again and turn around! She has also now taken to bashing the sided of the cot with her feet like a lunatic. Can't wait til this 'phase' is over!! Going to try that breathable bumper I think - thanks BumWad.

purpleporpoise Sat 19-Mar-16 14:41:33

We got airwrap bumpers from Amazon and used in the crib to stop limbs getting stuck in the bars and dummies falling out. We moved them to the cot bed with DS. I wouldn't be without them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now