Muslin draped over face

(9 Posts)
BumWad Mon 14-Mar-16 22:05:13

DS 9 months has been using a muslin cloth as a comforter for the past month or so and it is working really well.

However he seems to be draping it over his face these last few days and it is frealing me out. Every time I see it on the video monitor I take it away from his face only to be bunched up around his face within the hour. I can't obviously keep doing this all night.

So do I just leave him to it and relax or take away the muslin cloth? He was given actual comforters as gifts and they're much thicker so they would be worse no? Or a toy? 😬

SmallBee Mon 14-Mar-16 22:07:32

I worried about this when DD was young and draped one over my own face. Even when tight I was ok to breathe through it (although suddenly made aware I had garlic for lunch and needed to brush my teeth). Do some checks like this just to reassure yourself.

pollyblack Mon 14-Mar-16 22:14:57

My ds did this too, and still sleeps with a muslin at 6- though not on his face anymore. Initially i cut them up so they weren't long enough to wrap around his neck, so a quarter. But as he got older he just had them full size.

CoodleMoodle Mon 14-Mar-16 22:16:38

My DD is currently asleep with at least one on her face. Or she'll have her face smushed into it. She's 2 but at 9 months she probably did the same, and was fine.

It used to freak me out, too, but then I realised if she really didn't like it, she'd move. And they are very thin. If you can breathe through it, then I'm sure DS can!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 14-Mar-16 22:25:43

I cut one up as well into quarters and stitched round - just incase they r get tangled

minipie Tue 15-Mar-16 10:24:01

Both my DDs put their bunny/sheep comforter across their face when going to sleep at that age. As others say, if you're worried about the muslin getting around his neck then try cutting it in half to make it smaller? or try a comforter toy.

deathb4decaf Tue 15-Mar-16 19:06:55

Could you tie a knot in the middle?

BumWad Tue 15-Mar-16 22:56:18

Thanks all!

It was more the gagging/suffocation I have been worried about.

DH has just put the sensor pad down for our monitor so that may put my mind at rest. I might also cut them into smaller squares as he really does love his muslin cloths.

zoeMORI Mon 05-Sep-16 12:17:10

You can definitely use muslins as a comforter through the night. Muslin material is loosely woven to it has little holes throughout, which means it's really breathable. With this in mind, baby will be fine if they cover their face with it at night time. Other materials don't have these holes so can be dangerous, but muslins are perfect - especially if you've gone for the small squares or cut ones, as suggested above.

Hope this helps a little more smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now