6 month old waking in night

(12 Posts)
Gemba78 Wed 09-Mar-16 06:12:07

We have previously been lucky with sleep but recently (and he is now 6 months) he wakes every night and can't be settled (been in own room since 3months)
Tried water, nappy check and change... Takes nearly an hour to settle. Pulls his dummy out then cries. Haven't picked him up and nursed as didn't want to start that tactic.
Any other ideas that may help?

randomsabreuse Wed 09-Mar-16 06:36:01

Suspect he might be hungry tbh. My 7 mo started waking every 2 hours about 4 weeks ago and now goes through 6 hours only with a late evening formula top up. Given she always used to self settle I'm happy she needs the feed - she feeds for a while rather than a quick snack for comfort!

Think there's a growth spurt at around 6 months.

Fraggled Wed 09-Mar-16 06:43:24

Yes big growth spurt at 6 months and both my babies still needed milk in the night until at least 12 months. So he is probably hungry, but is still so little anyway and they change their sleep patterns a lot!

caravanista Wed 09-Mar-16 06:47:50

Please pick him up! Can you imagine feeling upset in the night and getting no comfort from your DP?

ingenvillvetavardukoptdintroja Wed 09-Mar-16 06:57:24

I think you have just been extremely lucky til now, I am still doing a night feed with an 11 months old, at 6 months he was having 2 at least. Doesn't sound like he is going to settle without milk. Most babies I know had milk in the night at that age without becoming nightmares later, sounds totally normal

angelicjen Wed 09-Mar-16 07:11:56

Sounds like your baby is crying to be picked up, cuddled and fed. 6 months is still very little and sleeping through is not normal, it's a dream sold to knackered parents.
Mine needs it every 2 hours so count yourself lucky!

Gillian1980 Wed 09-Mar-16 07:38:57

My DD has sleep through since 3 months in general, without night feeds. However she has the odd week here and there where she will wake every night at 4am for a feed. I always suspected she was having a growth spurt so gave milk and the phase was over in 5 or 6 days.

Gemba78 Wed 09-Mar-16 08:04:15

Thanks all.
It was the hv who said not to feed him as he was getting plenty in day
His dummy was comforting him (when in his mouth) but maybe I will pick him up.
Thanks again
It's difficult as there are so many opinions on any subject but we will reintroduce the milk possibly...

waitingforsomething Wed 09-Mar-16 08:40:45

I would just feed him. It's only one night feed he might be having a growth spurt - he will drop again soon. My 8 month old still needs an early hours feed (whether he goes back to sleep or not is another story!)

Fuzzyduck21 Wed 09-Mar-16 09:49:57

I expect he's hungry. My ds who is 6 months still needs a feed at night. My HV said to drop the night feed too which I tried but he wasn't happy and he's obviously hungry so I fed him and he's much happier now..x

Gemba78 Wed 09-Mar-16 11:58:04

Thanks guys. Helpful to get opinions on this and will go back to the milk for sure, but maybe not a full feed. X

ingenvillvetavardukoptdintroja Fri 11-Mar-16 13:02:12

Argh health visitors are so inconsistent. It isn't really some goal you need to work towards like some of them make out. I'm pretty sure the majority of babies wake still at Sox months. You can't overfeed a breastfed baby so do whatever keeps you and baby sane (the thought of spending an hour trying to get baby back to sleep is making me feel exhausted, so must be even harder for you!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now