So, we are back to waking at 5am again!!

(5 Posts)
MyBreadIsEggy Mon 07-Mar-16 07:10:03

My DD will be 11mo in a week, and has been a pretty good sleeper since around 7mo. But she's now decided that between 4 and 5am is the perfect time to wake up in the morning sad
We are in the process of having some work done in our house, so I know her naps have been a little skewed for the past fortnight, but the nap times are not massively different to normal!
When she wakes at 5am, one of us goes in to lay her back down and settle her, then leave her. If she is still awake after us going in there twice, then we leave her to play in her cot until 6am (by which time she is usually getting grumpy because she's been left). But because she been awake since 5am, she is hanging by 8:30am and needs a nap! She usually sleeps until 9:30am, sometimes 9:45am. Whereas when she was getting up at 6:30/7am, she wouldn't be going down for a nap until 9/9:30am!
If she wakes at 9;30am, her second nap has to be around 1pm, 1:30pm at a push, and she will sleep until 2:30/2:45pm, but then even if we do bedtime at 6:30pm, the gap between the last nap and bedtime is too big!!
Today I am aiming to get this schedule fixed. If the builders show up during a nap, I will ask them to come back later. I cannot handle this disruption any longer. It's not fair on DD or DH and myself.
So, what should I do??
She's been awake since 5am (was in her cot from 5am until 6am), had 6oz of formula at 6am, and I will give her some weetabix with another 3oz of formula on it at 7:30. My brain is telling me to try and keep her awake until 9am, and put her to sleep then, as that close to nap time if she gets up at 6:30/7am. What do you guys think?

P.S sorry for waffling on, I'm pregnant and tired and want this fixed 😫😫

Iguessyourestuckwithme Mon 07-Mar-16 07:14:11

The problem is if you put her to nap earlier then her body gets used to having an early wake up time as she will be asleep soon. Keep her awake and busy until 9 and then pop her to bed. Then her nap 1-2.30 is fine they need about 4 hours between waking up and being tired for bed at this age. She will soon be dropping her morning nap so now could be a good ide to envision what nap you'd like her to keep and concentrate on that one.

icklekid Mon 07-Mar-16 07:16:27

I understand why you would want to try and wait until 9 for first nap however when I have tried that with ds, because he also loves a 5am wake up, he is then overtired and struggles to get to sleep. We just go with it and at least an earlier nap means he gets to play groups which start at 10! Sorry that's not helpful is it...

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 07-Mar-16 07:17:09

She's quite happy watching Postman Pat at the moment, so I will give her breakfast at 7:30 and keep everything bright and noisy until about 8:45, then start calming down for nap at 9am. If the builders show up at that time, then I'm afraid they will have to bugger off!!

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 07-Mar-16 07:20:48

icklekid that's what I have been doing for the last couple of weeks - letting her have an earlier nap and then going to playgroups....but this early waking thing is getting ridiculous now. We've weighed up what's more important, and an hour so more sleep has trumped play group in afraid!! We are lucky that we live on the same street as most of our friends with children then same age, so DD will not be missing out on play time because there is ample opportunity for play dates smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now