4 week old doesn't sleep much!!

(7 Posts)
LibertyBelles Mon 29-Feb-16 20:32:24

My DD doesn't sleep much at all - books say 18 hours a day! Hilarious, so far since about midnight she's had 5 hours! She'll maybe have another hour or two this evening and similar between 10pm and midnight - so total average is about 10 hours on a good day!! Does anyone know if this is bad for her??

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 29-Feb-16 21:12:39

Is she wide awake between these sleeps? What have you tried, like white noise, swaddling, slings, walks, etc?

LibertyBelles Mon 29-Feb-16 21:31:41

Yeah wide awake, generally happy and content when she's awake until she gets overtired! Yes tried white noise, swaddling, shushing, swaying etc

bittapitta Wed 02-Mar-16 10:05:56

She really should be asleep most of the time. That's their "passive state" as newborns. Take her for a walk in the pram, use a sling, carry/cuddle/sit holding her when she falls asleep while feeding. Sleep is when they grow.

LibertyBelles Wed 02-Mar-16 11:03:07

I know that, that's why I was asking! However saying that, I'm 5ft 11 and didn't sleep as a baby or a child so maybe she is just like me

elsiewoo Wed 02-Mar-16 12:43:02

I never had one of those newborns I hear/read about that sleep 20 hours, or whatever. Both napped no more than 20 mins at a time, awake loads in the night, totalled 10-12 hours max in 24 hours. Drove myself potty googling sleep probs and was exhausting. By 12 months, both sleeping through the night and napping well, without me doing anything, didn't seem to do them any harm, but was very hard work at the time.

LibertyBelles Wed 02-Mar-16 15:56:09

Thanks elsie think I will just have to accept. She seems to be sleeping well next to me in bed - I seem to just feed her in my sleep and then we both go back off to sleep so that's good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now