Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help!! Sleep and night feeds

(5 Posts)
clarriethefink Sat 27-Feb-16 08:48:20

Hi!
Just wondering if anyone has some advice for me.
I have a 4 month old who was/is feeding great. He fed throughout the day and at night I was doing generally two feeds. Then last month he got a bad cold and also started teething.
The last 3 or so weeks he's still feeding all day well, naps aren't as good, but at night he is feeding like mad , 5 times a night or so. The last week he's been going asleep at 8, then waking to feed at exactly 11,1, 3,5 & 6.30 (on the dot). I feel like he's formed a habit and wondering how do I break the cycle. He's exclusively breastfed and is a really healthy big boy so I'm not worried about supply. I'm just exhausted at the moment.
I have a toddler aswell so I'm wondering could 4month old be distracted during day? I'm think of maybe adding a formula feed to fill him up for the night more.
I don't mind waking to feed at night but i just don't want this to be a habit that I'm stuck with. Mayb it's just a growth spurt ???
Thanks for any tips 😄

Yarpyarp Sat 27-Feb-16 10:03:42

No tips I'm afraid but I've got a 6 month old doing this too. Started at 4 months, so thought it was sleep regression or something but hasn't improved. Mine has a bottle before bed (I BF when she wakes in the night) but that doesn't help at all in lengthening spells of sleep.

I don't even know if she's is hungry when she wakes or if it's just comfort (never had a dummy) or habit.

Skiptonlass Sat 27-Feb-16 10:26:23

Our is the same. I think there's a big increase in kcal needs just now, plus teething, plus sleep regression plus developmental leaps... Plus they're much more into things, picking stuff up and stuffing it in their mouths so exposed to more germs.
So I don't think with my lo it's one single thing...
He was dropping down the percentiles quite a lot and is not a chubby baby to begin with so our baby clinic suggested some solids. We started them (I know current advice is six months but he was obviously hungry, no tongue thrust reflex and great head control.) he's wolfing down almost everything I've offered so far.

I'm also starting him at night in the cot then after 1-2 am he generally ends up in with me because otherwise he just wakes every hour really hungry. Co sleeping lets him cuddle and eat as he wants. He really seems to need it just now, so I'm ok with it.

I think our lo is hungry and needs the comfort - my approach is to keep the habits I can (set bedtime) and be flexible about the rest just so we all get as much sleep/milk as we can.
It's not an easy time !

Skiptonlass Sat 27-Feb-16 10:28:12

I don't find a feed before bed lengthens sleep - I think the amount of food/activity/fresh air over the course of the day has an impact though.

dhanariya Wed 02-Mar-16 14:36:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now