help!

(4 Posts)
Whatwillbexo Thu 25-Feb-16 12:51:51

Hi all, I'm going to try and keep this short before bubba wakes up wink basically I've got a 3 week old little girl and I'm literally in love with her smile the only problem is the most sleep I get per night is 1/2 hours!sad she sleeps quite well just not in her own bed! She'll sleep on me for hours and hours but the minute I try to put her in her basket/cot she screams within 5 minutes and then it takes half an hour+ to settle her againhmm we even bought her a co sleeping cot so she can be near us but nothing is working. She's obviously too young to let her cry it out but can anyone shed some light on why she will only sleep on me? And what I can do to get her to sleep in her own bed for more than 5 minutes?!
Thankyou thanks

Skiptonlass Thu 25-Feb-16 13:20:26

Time will sort it out.. She's still really tiny and at that ages all they want is to be held. Mine was the same.
Co sleep and use a sling if you can. Co sleeping is great as it lets you feed without getting up - just google safe cosleeping to find how to do it right.
Try swaddling
Try warming the Moses with a hot water bottle before you swaddle and put her in and make it inviting ( I had a sheepskin in ours)

She will grow out of it , honest!

FATEdestiny Thu 25-Feb-16 13:34:57

You could try a swaddle.

If you consider that 4 weeks ago your DD was in a really tight space all squished up in your womb. Babies often like that tight, secure, enclosed feeling to be mirrored - which is the reason many babies are soothed by being swaddled.

You don't need anything special for a swaddle - just a long rectangular sheet (I cut a cot sheet in half along the short edge for my 17 month old when she was newborn).

- Baby ontop of the sheet in the middle, top line of the sheet just above shoulders.
- Pull one side over shoulder, over arm and underneath baby all the way around.
- Pull other side over other shoulder and arm, under baby and wrap all the way around.

This was the tightness is around the top-half of baby. It can be damaging to baby's hips if too tight around the legs.

Coconut0il Thu 25-Feb-16 14:41:26

Agree that time will sort it out. I co slept with DS1 and I'm doing the same with DS2, neither would sleep in the moses basket.
I let them sleep on me for the evening at that age and just took them up and put them to bed next to me when I went up.
Co sleeping is not for everyone though, is there anyone who you can take turns sleeping or holding baby with? I sometimes went to bed very early to get a few hours in while DP held baby or he would take DS2 downstairs at 5ish so I could sleep till 7 uninterrupted.
Reading about the fourth trimester helped me understand that need to be held.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now