4 month old wakes all night

(5 Posts)
lyssie29 Tue 23-Feb-16 15:18:47

Hi the past week or so my 4 month old is waking every hour and I don't know what she wants to help her settle. She doesn't want milk, I pick her up she just kicks her legs and cries and then I put her down. She's quiet for maybe 30 seconds and she starts kicking and whining again. Sometimes after a couple of times doing this she sleeps for a bit and then an hour later she does it again. Sometimes it's like this for hours before she finally goes to sleep. I know there's a regression at 4 months how long does it normally last and what can I do to help her sleep better. I'm exhausted and I also have an almost 3 year old who at the minute is back and forwards to the hospital and she has decided she doesn't want to nap anymore too so no rest for me.

ChelseaNannyTree Tue 23-Feb-16 18:29:04

Hey
How does she fall asleep? do you use milk? dummy? bottle? music?

it sounds to me as if she is waking after sleep cycles, and if she has a prompt to help her go down which is no longer present (cuddles maybe?) , she wakes. Then when she gets into a deeper sleep, she stays asleep. Look at her pattern, does she completely self settle (with no prompts!)?

She may be having a grow and cognitive developments, but its about continuity in this time.. Go in to her every 5minutes, touch her back or tummy and shhh her, then walk away. She needs time to settle herself and its important that you give her space to do this.

Hope this helps!

southlondonbaby Tue 23-Feb-16 20:55:47

Ahhhh this was ours two months ago! Horrible and it took anot two weeks to pass. We didn't do anything, it just stopped.

lyssie29 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:58:50

Yeah your right i need to give her more time to settle herself. It's just if I don't go to her she gets pretty loud and I don't want her to wake everyone else. she has always been pretty good at going to sleep with her dummy. I just put her down at bedtime awake and give her her dummy and sing a couple of songs give her a kiss and walk away and she goes to sleep. I'll try to leave her longer and see if that works. She just gets so loud and she's still in our room (only have 2 bedrooms)

lyssie29 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:59:53

@southlondonbaby oh I really hope so! Never been to tired in my life sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now