Talk

Advanced search

how do you get teething babies back to sleep?

(6 Posts)
waitingforsomething Sat 20-Feb-16 16:02:39

7mo ds is cutting his 3rd tooth - on the top- and it's making his sleep appalling. at his best he can sleep for 11 hours and he's not interested in milk when he wakes.
Last night he was awake from 4-6am not able to drop back off, then only slept another 40mins. Naps have been bad today as he keeps waking during them.
Calpol or nurofen don't seem to be soothing him back off.
He self settles for bed so isn't used to being rocked or fed to sleep so won't have it.
Appreciate any ideas

Fairy45 Sat 20-Feb-16 20:23:08

I end up cuddling mine to sleep. When she was newborn i used to lay her on my chest to calm her when she was very unsettled so i dont know if it stems from that but it still seems to calm her. I lay with her there for 10 - 15 mins while any medicine kicks in then try and put her back in cot, sometimes she needs a bit longer. The other night we co slept and she was fine. We seem to be able to do that the odd night and her not become dependant on it. She is 8mo and cutting teeth 5 and 6. Shes always got them in pairs! Have you tried nelsons teething granules?

FATEdestiny Sat 20-Feb-16 22:38:04

For how long does this kind of teething go on for?

With my DD, her sleep was only affected for the 2 or 3 days when a tooth was actually cutting through. And for those nights all bets are off - she was in a lot on discomfort and significantly struggled to get to sleep and stay asleep.

We found that building up a base-line of paracetamol and ibruprofen was most helpful - so give alternate 2 hourly doses of calpol, then 2h later nurofen then 2h later calpol and so on - for the max number of doses per day.

By maintaining a base-line level of pain relief, it was more helpful than just giving a dose pain relief at the time when pain was greatest.

But you shouldn't continue giving the max daily dose for more than 3 consecutive days.

peggyundercrackers Sat 20-Feb-16 23:50:33

We found calpol helped but also used Ashton and parsons teething powders. Dipped the dummy into the powder then dummy in mouth. If we didn't have powder we used teething gel, again put it on dummy then put dummy in mouth. Took about an hour to settle sometimes.

waitingforsomething Sun 21-Feb-16 07:16:20

This was the third night fate. He woke at 4.30am and was up till 6. He cries if I offer him the bottle although did take a bit of milk towards 6.
I think I'll just have to ride it out it I just find the prolonged waking hard going and also don't want him waking older dd.
Last two nights ive ended up patting him to sleep at around 6am which feels like a bad habit

waitingforsomething Sun 21-Feb-16 07:17:20

Fate I will try the regular medicine today thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now