Talk

Advanced search

Downstairs sleeping

(8 Posts)
Obo81 Sat 20-Feb-16 09:23:51

Hi,

I'm a FTM struggling to think of where baby will sleep during the day. I have bought a Snuzpod for upstairs but don't fancy carrying this downstairs as it quite heavy.

I was thinking baby could sleep in the pram downstairs for naps but it's too big for our lounge area.

I was thinking of a sleepyhead but DH refuses to pay £100 for a pillow!!
Many ideas ??

ACatCalledFang Sat 20-Feb-16 12:34:35

If your baby is anything like mine, they may consider all sleeping options inferior to the human pillow, i.e. you grin. My baby is 5.5 months and it's rare that he's willing to sleep anywhere other than on me during the day if we're at home.

We used to use the top part of our Snuzpod in the living room but I was dependent on DP to carry it through before he left for work, it's heavy and awkward to manoeuvre down our hall (flat so not even any stairs). A Moses basket might work for you for daytime naps. Or a bouncy chair or a swing, potentially - a lot depends on your baby.

Don't be dispirited if your baby refuses to go in his Snuzpod at first - a Sleepyhead would have been a sound investment for us. We warm ours with a hot water bottle and improvised a Sleepyhead for daytime naps in the early weeks using my pregnancy pillow (not technically recommended but as I was sitting next to him, I was comfortable doing this).

We're still using ours at 5.5 months, I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get more than another month's usage out of it (and DS is short-to-average length) but, for us, the Snuzpod has been a good buy.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck!

Coconut0il Sat 20-Feb-16 22:49:08

DS2 is 6 months, he has his daytime naps either on my lap or in a bouncy chair if we're at home.
He has never slept in his moses basket, found this quite hard at first but then I read all about the 4th trimester and decided to make the most of the cuddles and enjoy some box sets.
I looked at the sleepyhead too but couldn't risk £100 if he wouldn't sleep in it!

ANiceSliceOfCake Sat 20-Feb-16 22:52:51

Another one here who's baby only naps on them. I stressed about it for a bit but I wanted to stick to the SIDS guidance and have him in the same room as me, so I never attempted the cot upstairs. Now I just enjoy the cuddles, he only naps for 30 mins max so I stick the TV on grin

Lovemybubble15 Sun 21-Feb-16 21:23:11

Coconut - what's the 4th trimester? My lo sleeps on me for naps most of the time. Usually 2 hours in the afternoon which can be a bind but as soon as I put him in bouncy chair or on settee (I don't leave him I sit next to him ) he wakes! I can't seem to crack the sleeping in cot in the day.

Briggers001 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:41:45

Our Sleepyhead is the best purchase I have ever made. From birth my little girl wouldn't settle in her moses basket and a friend recommended the Sleepyhead, she now sleeps in it day and night and it's easy to carry her around the house laying in it without waking her. I would say definitely buy one!!

Unhappyexpat Tue 23-Feb-16 20:48:21

If you google babynest seeing pattern you'll find several tutorials on how to sew something like a sleepyhead- they're easy to make!

cheeseandcrackers Tue 23-Feb-16 20:56:20

Have a look at Toddlepods, very similar to a sleepyhead but about a third of the price. Go for the 6-36 month one, it's only 2 inches wider than the 0-6 month one and suited my D's fine from birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now