He won't sleep properly in his own room! :(

(15 Posts)
PregnantAndEngaged Sun 14-Feb-16 21:26:17

We've moved our son out into his own room a couple of nights ago and now he's gone from a well napping and well sleeping at night child to a child who keeps waking up.. his naps have from being 1-2 hours long to being 40 minutes (and that's WHEN he goes down) and his night sleeps are constantly disturbed, he has woken up 4 times this evening since we got him down at 7.30pm and now he won't go back to sleep. At the end of my tether as I'm not getting a break sad And we wanted a romantic evening tonight (not for valentines but because we need to spend some time together) and it's just been constantly interrupted and now we're both stressed. HELP!

PregnantAndEngaged Sun 14-Feb-16 21:27:27

He's 8 months old btw

timelytess Sun 14-Feb-16 21:30:13

IMO, too young for his own room by about five years. Pop him back next to you and get some sleep. Get a babysitter if you want private time - got a grandma or some such?
Babies aren't supposed to sleep through the night. Its not in their survival guide. He'll grow out of it.

PregnantAndEngaged Sun 14-Feb-16 21:34:13

I don't think that's the case as he was fine in our room even when we were downstairs from the start of his sleep - 7.30pm until about 11pm/midnight (he never went through the night but I'm not asking for that, I'm just asking for him not wake up every 30 minutes when he used to be able tos leep for 7 hours straight, drink and then sleep for another 4.5 hours). As soon as he went into his own room he started disturbing every 30 minutes.

He's 8 months old, not a newborn btw.

timelytess Sun 14-Feb-16 21:36:02

Well, that's fine. I have no objection to people disagreeing with me. But I maintain my position. Eight months is not near-adult, not independent, and for me, not to be expected to sleep alone. What you want is clearly something different.

GingerCuddleMonsterThe2nd Sun 14-Feb-16 21:39:51

Mines 18months and has only just started sleeping 7:30 till 7:30 and he's still in our room in his cot blush he still won't go to sleep in a seperate room to me.

Have you tried reassuring him you are still there by popping in? Maybe he just feels lonely and the room is unfamiliar?

Sorry no constructive advice.

PregnantAndEngaged Sun 14-Feb-16 21:40:52

How do you explain he slept OK in our room even when we weren't in there? (Genuinely not trying to sound rude and I do thank you for your opinion; I couldn't ask in any other way without it sounding patronising but please don't read it that way - it's just that what I mean is, if it was an issue with not feeling ready for independence surely he'd have required us to be with him for his daytime naps and the start of his night time naps previously to be able to sleep, but he didn't. He was still able to sleep even when we were downstairs. But now he's in his new room he isn't able to stay asleep for some reason.)

I do personally think it's some other reason he's struggling to sleep tbh; I'm just not sure what it is. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you overcome it?

PregnantAndEngaged Sun 14-Feb-16 21:43:19

Thanks Ginger.. perhaps it is just the unfamiliarity.

Trouble is, it's a catch 22. If he sleeps in our room, whilst he will settle, he disturbs a lot at night when we turn over etc as it makes the blankets rustle and then it wakes him up. But if he sleeps in his own room, he doesn't lol.

happytocomply Sun 14-Feb-16 21:45:35

No helpful tips but sounds like my 8 month old. Can sometimes get a few hours from 7:30 in his cot (used to get until 11-12 every night) but the rest of the night is in bed with us. We all get a pretty good nights sleep this way.

It's about the right age for separation anxiety. They suddenly know you can leave them (before they didn't really understand the concept) and they start to get upset about it.

Muskateersmummy Sun 14-Feb-16 21:50:45

I think that it's because they wake periodically (we all do naturally), and he can't go back off without you being there. Totally normal. Mine still needs the comfort of mummy or daddy when she wakes and she's nearly 4 (but that's a whole other thread!)

8 months is still very tiny. Do whatever you need to make sure you all get some rest

Jw35 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:53:51

I think you've moved him a little bit late! He's probably so used to sleeping near you now he's struggling with the change? When I moved my dd (at 3 months) I started with daytime naps to get her used to the room and her cot then went to night sleeping. Maybe he just needs time to adjust

GingerCuddleMonsterThe2nd Sun 14-Feb-16 22:09:26

Jesus Jw if 8 months is too late I'm royally fucked haha Do you think mine will move out of the room by sixth form?! grin

HSMMaCM Sun 14-Feb-16 22:17:33

Maybe there's a noise in his room that's not in your room. He's unsettled because of new sounds or lights ?

BeansMrSeanAndHeinz Sun 14-Feb-16 22:17:55

pregnant it might be worth checking if there is anything in the new room that disturbs him - like bright streetlight, noisier, colder - I remember reading a recommendation to sleep a night in the room yourself to test it.

BeansMrSeanAndHeinz Sun 14-Feb-16 22:20:17

Cross posted with HSMM

Mine went funny around the same age, and it was losing the dummy at night and not being able to find it again - so we dropped the dummy and after loads of good suggestions here we tightened up bedtime routine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now