please help!

(22 Posts)
cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 12-Feb-16 03:32:12

If I go and cry at the doctors, is there anything they can do? I have a 15mo ds who just doesn't sleep. He's finally almost asleep now... Almost. I've tried everything. Cc - he screamed for over 3 hours and the neighbours were banging on the wall. Lying next to him, feeding to sleep and even cio, see above. I want to cry, I've not had more than 2 hours continuous sleep since he was born. I have a 3 yo DD who's behaviour is suffering as she's constantly knackered, she always used to sleep at least 12 hours.

Is there anything the doctors can do? He has one nap in the morning for about 1 hour then nothing else til bedtime. I'm a wreck.

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Fri 12-Feb-16 03:50:00

flowers

I take it you've tried everything in between feed to sleep and CIO? Singing/patting/CC at intervals?

Maybe I'm not the one to ask given I'm also up at silly o'clock! But didn't want you to fell alone. Do you have any RL support?

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Fri 12-Feb-16 03:50:15

Feel, not fell

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 12-Feb-16 06:43:12

Thank you for responding. Tried everything. He was awake for the day at 6.05. Yes, tried everything me or the health visitors can think of. Don't want to sound over dramatic but I feel like it's killing me. I've got cold sores that I've had for months and just so low. My dream is a night completely by myself.

firsttimekat Fri 12-Feb-16 07:16:19

I really feel for you, lack of sleep is a killer.

How is his health otherwise? I ask because for us getting some allergies diagnosed and sorting that out made so much difference. In our case it was cat and some food. Previously we'd be up every couple of hours through the night and it would take him ages to settle. A few weeks after rehoming our cars and he slept through the night for the first time at 14months. I'm not saying it's definitely the same for you but might be worth exploring a health trigger.

firsttimekat Fri 12-Feb-16 07:16:54

Cats not cats!

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 12-Feb-16 07:35:13

He's allergic to dairy but we've cut that out and his sleep hasn't improved. He doesn't really eat anything other than bread, breadsticks, plain pasta and the occasional banana or oatcake and peanut butter. He's a happy little boy during the day, started walking at 7 months and by 10 months was running everywhere. He has bags of energy! I'm thinking of looking for a nursery place for one day a week so I can sleep for the week on that day.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 12-Feb-16 11:10:12

Bump. Does anyone have any idea whether there's anything a doctor could do? I am barely functioning today and still have two wide awake but knackered children to deal with.

Peppapigallowsmetoshower Fri 12-Feb-16 12:14:34

Bumping for you

ruby242 Fri 12-Feb-16 13:11:13

Sleep deprivation is horrible. Definitely worth going to the doctor to see as sounds like there could be something else going on. Hope you can get it sorted

AJ279 Fri 12-Feb-16 13:16:13

My DD has milk allergy, she's also on omeprazole for silent reflux. That makes a huge difference. Does he wriggle/squirm/grunt when he's trying to settle on his back?

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 12-Feb-16 14:02:26

He throws himself about constantly, I'm sure one of the reasons he wakes up is because he bumps the wall or rolls off his mattress and gets cold. I've tried having a folded duvet next to his mattress to make it more comfy but he won't stay under his covers. I'll ask about silent reflux, thank you.

jessplussomeonenew Fri 12-Feb-16 14:27:46

Have you tried sleeping bags rather than covers? Is there anyone else who can share care at night (my 17mo also regularly wakes every 1-3 hours but my husband does half the night, plus in the last month or so he's started doing longer stretches which is a blissful relief). There are some medical problems that can affect sleep, and your GP may be able to refer you to a sleep clinic.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Fri 12-Feb-16 14:48:22

I have tried sleeping bags but he gets tangled up in them then gets really upset when he wakes and can't stand up (still waking similar times but screaming in anger instead of crying for me iyswim). If he sees dh instead of me he winds up his anger, but dh does get up with him when he wakes for the day at 5ish so I get a blissful hour and half by myself. I'm looking at those sleeping bag with holes for their feet but unsure whether they'd make any difference?

fluffikins Fri 12-Feb-16 15:22:58

Have you tried cutting out soya? A high percentage of babies allergic to dairy will also be allergic to soya and it's hidden in loads of things

Purpleboa Fri 12-Feb-16 17:11:50

So sorry to hear you're going through this flowers Sleep deprivation is just horrific.

Have you tried a Sleepyhead? We started using one when she was 3 months and have 'graduated' onto the Grande version, which I believe they can use up till 36 months. It doesn't guarantee an unbroken night of sleep (otherwise I wouldn't be on here still!) but my DD is also a thrasher, and it keeps her contained.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't really add to the already good advice on here. Just ask demand as much support as you can get in RL. And if a day in nursery is a viable option, I'd absolutely go for it.

Join us on the high needs baby support thread - you'll find quite a few in very similar situations!

Really hope it gets better for you.

Purpleboa Fri 12-Feb-16 17:14:07

Oh and you can try your doc but I have a feeling they might not be much help. My hv is well meaning but wasn't really able to help. Just referred me for counselling! I was like 'so can I use that hour to get some sleep in then??'

Binkybix Fri 12-Feb-16 17:37:54

I've read that those rare cases with actual sleep disorders have been given melatonin. Worth a shot?

You have my sympathy, it's awful.

MrsO1980 Fri 12-Feb-16 18:08:14

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time! My youngest ds4 has not been much of a sleeper and we've tried everything. Unless he has SN your GP will no prescribe melatonin or circadin meds. My HV was not much help. But may be worth trying yours. In the last week I have put a radio with static playing on in his room just before I read him a story. It has worked really well so far (fingers crossed it carries on). Also does you ds have a heavy enough duvet? My ds needs a duvet, blanket and heavy dressing gown on his bed - think he likes the comfort of the weight. Radio and extra blankets might be worth a try? I also read the same story every night and do things in the same order eg bathroom, talk about our day, explain there is a drink and dummy (pls don't flame me - not had sleep for nearly 4.5 yrs) next to his bed, read 'Tiddler' and half way through remind him 'after this story and song it's time to sleep,' then cuddle, tell him I love him, sing twinkle twinkle, then tuck him in and lights off. I then sit by his bed until he's asleep. There is an audio cd of 'the rabbit who wants to go to sleep' as well as the book - worked for my son for a few nights. Does he have supper? Toast and milk was useful for mine, just to fill him up a bit more. You sound exhausted op so hope you can get some rest. As mum's we take it all on our shoulders, you sound like you're doing a good job - be kind to yourself! X

HalfStar Fri 12-Feb-16 19:39:02

No harm to bring him to the doctor.
But honestly I think your best bet is a sleep consultant. You're so tired you probably can't think clearly at all.
Ann Caird is brilliant.

luckiestgirlintheworld Fri 12-Feb-16 19:50:38

God that sound rough, you poor thing.
Keep trying with sleeping bags- if you get one the right size they don't get tangled up in it and they can still stand up. My DS walks about in his if I let him.

But to be honest, from the sound of your case, I would suggest a sleep consultant. I bet they're expensive but if I were you I wold prioritise it. Living on that much sleep is living hell.

SleepForTheWeak Sun 14-Feb-16 22:21:11

I would also suggest a sleep consultant, we used Ann Caird and she was brilliant.

I really really hope things get better for you soon thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now