Talk

Advanced search

What the hell happened!?

(3 Posts)
CornishDoll82 Mon 08-Feb-16 17:01:07

My 7 month old baby was a lovely sleeper, she slept through at night and napped during the day without too much trouble

Cut to about two weeks ago and all of a sudden everything changed. Daytime naps are a massive battle to get her down and then she often catnaps for 30-40 minutes. She also wakes up soon after going to bed and has to be resettled a couple of times. These are all new things

All the advice I've had is that she is over tired but I am trying so hard to get her to sleep and I don't know what I am doing wrong, it's driving me mad.

I'd say she's currently getting about 2 hours sleep during the day when I really try. When she's awake she's not massively grumpy but she does yawn and rub her eyes a lot. However, she sometimes yawns about 30 minutes after a 10 hour night sleep so does this actually mean anything?

We just got back from being out and she looked sleepy and was yawning. Perfect, I thought, time for a sleep. That was an hour ago and nothing I did was getting her to sleep. I tried rocking, feeding, leaving her to grizzle. She's now up and playing again. But surely if she was yawning she was tired? Or was she not and she only needs 2 hours a day?

It's driving me insane, my whole day is trying to get her to sleep - any tips?

BifsWif Mon 08-Feb-16 22:21:36

Try and put her down for a nap an hour and a half after she wakes up. Don't wait for yawning or eye rubbing, you've missed your chance by then. Google has loads of information about sleep cycles and how long they can stay awake for at each age.

Also Google 8 month sleep regression. My DD had this at 7 months, it lasted around a month, but then she went back to sleeping well. Good luck smile

Wardrobespierre Mon 08-Feb-16 22:25:36

It's probably a developmental leap. Classic signs. At this age it's usually the crawling or pulling up that's the problem. Takes up a lot of brain space and interferes with self settling. It will pass. Same again at 10-12 months with walking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now