Talk

Advanced search

Taking away dummy - 6 month old

(18 Posts)
OhahIlostmybra Sat 06-Feb-16 14:01:48

I'm at the stage I'm not sure whether the dummy is helping dd sleep or hindering. She cries anytime it falls out when she is dozing, so do a lot of re plugging still she is deep. Means we can't leave her to grizzle at bedtime or nap time which isn't ideal when I've a 4 year old too.

She needs it plugged in a couple of times a night and is generally up for the day from 5ish but we will not actually get her out of bed then. She will sometimes resettle again with copius dummy plugging, but after about an hour. It's not hunger waking her.

On a couple of occasions I've heard her stirring about 5 and got the dummy in before she is awake and then she has slept to 630/700.

So I think she is possibly coming into a light sleep about 5ish and properly waking up when she doesn't have her dummy.

We are thinking about ditching the dummy. She only has it at sleep times.

Any advice on how to best approach it?!

Jesabel Sat 06-Feb-16 14:04:09

I did the opposite and just encourage DS to plug his own dummy in! I got a Sleepytot.

PennyHasNoSurname Sat 06-Feb-16 14:09:39

Buy more. Preferably a glow in the dark one so she can find it and plug it back in herself.

OhahIlostmybra Sat 06-Feb-16 14:13:23

We have plenty, that's not the issue!

starry0ne Sat 06-Feb-16 14:14:05

My friend did this with her DS for the same reasons... No matter what age you do it it will take a few nights... maybe next weekend when you can all sleep in a bit later if really bad night

I didn't get rid of dummy DS did that himself at 3 months but had to get him used to going to sleep without my boob ( his dummy) I found stroking his back and rubbing his cheek really helped

OhahIlostmybra Sat 06-Feb-16 14:17:24

I feel bad for taking away something we gave her in the first place! But we have to do it sometime and I can't see is getting her into her own room till this is sorted. Dd has school and I don't want her being woken every morning at 5am by her sister as it will be tricky to get her (big dd) back to sleep at that time

stargirl1701 Sat 06-Feb-16 16:37:44

We attached a Muslim comforter (Olly & Belle) to it and then removed the dummy 1 month later.

She is still inseparable from the muslin at 3.4 years.

OhahIlostmybra Sat 06-Feb-16 16:45:44

Star girl, how did you deal with the crying when you took it away? Controlled crying?

Doboopedoo Sat 06-Feb-16 18:54:56

We're seriously considering doing similar for 6 month old DD - it seems to be more of a hindrance but she's attached to it for sleep! I've taken it away at bedtime and she settles without, but still has it for naps and if upset at night. Going to try introducing a comforter to see if that can replace it, fingers crossed!

OhahIlostmybra Sat 06-Feb-16 19:12:52

Dd fannys about with a comfortee and thinks it play time hmm

Doboopedoo Sat 06-Feb-16 19:26:37

I've tried toys before and she fannies about with them, but had success with a muslin the other week so have bought a muslin comforter. She needs something I think as she's clawing on the sheets and grabbing her wee sleeping bag. The dummy caused hourly wakings last night when DH put it in when he accidentally woke her at 8 and she's been a tired grouch all day as a result.

stargirl1701 Sun 07-Feb-16 15:12:32

No, we did shush pat and pick up, put down.

Micah Sun 07-Feb-16 15:19:35

Bear in mind research has shown remiving the dummy in the first year can increase the sids risk.

Not having a go, but stargirl, have you considered most are rid of the dummy by 3, and you still have a comforter to get rid of? Im not sure replacing a dummy with something less removable , and unique (one comforter, many dummies, losing one not an issue!) would be a road id go down. But then i knew a girl who took her comforter to uni.

Also beware that if they arent teady to give up the dummy, they might take to a thumb. Which is a short term fix, but long term more issues with removing..

Doboopedoo Sun 07-Feb-16 15:56:23

I had to do pick up put down to get rid of the dummy at start of night, it worked after 3 nights. I can't get it to work if she wakes up upset during the night though - my own tolerance for crying is probably less then.
At the moment the dummy is causing such broken sleep for us all id rather the comforter, even if DD does end up with it for years.

stargirl1701 Sun 07-Feb-16 18:04:12

Oh, it was DD1 who is now 3.4 years. A long time ago now! I know about the link between extended dummy use and speech problems which was why I wanted it eliminate it before 9 months. We ditched it at 7 months. The increased SIDS risk was under 6 months so we waited until then.

I had relactated by then so she was latching on so yet another concern!

Thankfully DD2 was ebf until 6 months and is still feeding at 17 months so no need for a dummy this time.

stargirl1701 Sun 07-Feb-16 18:06:47

The comforter doesn't bother me. It's not in her mouth just cuddled. I knew ff would likely bring about a transitional object but bf was a initially a disaster for DD1 and I was very poorly advised.

If she takes it to Uni, so be it.

Jw35 Sun 07-Feb-16 18:36:03

Get rid of it by all means but don't do controlled crying when she needs comfort! sad help her through the few days it will take by reassuring her with lots of cuddles. She will soon forget about it.

OhahIlostmybra Sun 07-Feb-16 20:44:08

I don't get what the problem is with an older child being attached to a toy. I still like a cuddly toy in bed smile

There is no easy way to do this is there? My thought would be to do normal bed time routine and pop her into bed and when she hollers and cries for it, to sit and rub her tummy till she eventually goes to sleep. Christ knows how middle of the night awakenings will go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now