Talk

Advanced search

Wakes 6 times or more a night. Help!

(8 Posts)
Squiggles86 Fri 05-Feb-16 21:11:06

Hi,

My lo is 5.5 months old and he wakes upwards of 6 times a night. Last night was a 'good night' and I was still up 5 times. He settles himself when he goes to bed - I put him in his cot with his dummy and teddy to hold and he eventually goes to sleep (usually takes 15 mins). He does have music playing when he goes to sleep and we leave this on all night.

He is fed just once in the night now at around 11pm (usually feed him at one of his wake ups at roughly this time). The other wake ups are definitely not for hunger - sometimes he's not even really crying when he wakes up just a very loud moan. We have recently switched to formula in the last couple of weeks and begun weaning in the last week too.

I really don't know what to do - we haven't had any improvement with his sleep at all despite self settling at the beginning of the night and I'm shattered with a toddler to run around after too. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Squiggles86 Fri 05-Feb-16 21:12:28

Just to add - a lot of the time his dummy falls out before he goes to sleep and he goes off just fine in the evening. I sit in his room when he goes to sleep but don't touch or talk to him.

FATEdestiny Fri 05-Feb-16 22:07:33

What do his daytimes look like?

How many milk feeds is he having and how much through the daytime and what about daytime naps?

Squiggles86 Fri 05-Feb-16 22:25:21

Thanks for your reply. Until this last week his naps have been terrible! Wouldn't sleep for any longer than 30 mins each time. His morning nap has been 1hr45 all week and 2 short 30 min naps in the afternoon, last one about 4pm and bed between 6.30 -6.45. I would like him to sleep longer in the afternoon but he just won't have it! I tried for 40 mins for a couple of days this week to get him back to sleep but he just won't.

He's having 4 7oz bottles in the day and a further 7oz at 11pm. In the last week he has also had 2 meals a day (mashed veg +baby rice). X

FlatOnTheHill Fri 05-Feb-16 22:34:31

Bless him. Its the teddy and dummy bit that has touched my heart. Taken me back 15 years to when my lovely boy was a baby. Sorry im not being helpful

Gillian1980 Fri 05-Feb-16 22:51:20

What happens if you don't do anything? Does he get upset?

I only ask because my DD will sometimes wake and she may let out a couple of squeaks or a bit of chatter but then settles and goes back to sleep. Sometimes she will sound upset so of course I see what she needs but I always wait just a minute to see if she needs me or if she will settle without me.

Squiggles86 Sat 06-Feb-16 05:46:47

If we leave him he cries and gets angry. I have tried leaving him as long as possible by I dont want my dd woken up in the next room.

It is cute flatonthehill! I gave him a teddy to hold beside he liked holding my hand while going to sleep and as nice as it is holding his hand I don't want to have to do it all night! X

FlatOnTheHill Sat 06-Feb-16 17:43:00

I used to do the holding of the hand. Through the bars of the cot. So cute. Sorry im still not being helpful. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now