Has anyone here done 'what worked for us'?

(9 Posts)
rrra Wed 03-Feb-16 12:44:24

I've seen it mentioned on here and googled for the thread. It is a speeded up gradual retreat. I'm seriously considering trying it at six months to try and start a bedtime, if it hasn't happened before then. My DS is currently 22 weeks, goes up with me at 9pm and wakes many, many times in the night. Mostly fed to sleep but occasional rock or bottom pat if he rolled onto his side.

Just wondering if anyone had any success, or not, first hand

FATEdestiny Wed 03-Feb-16 21:05:55

Read the thread, there are loads of people who had success with it who wrote on the thread. It periodically gets bumped back to the top of the sleep board with new posts.

Diggum Wed 03-Feb-16 21:08:43

I did it circa 11 months and it worked really well.

She regressed at 13 months though but a further dose helped thatgrin

Kraggle Wed 03-Feb-16 21:13:34

I read it and used some of the ideas to get my fed to sleep 18 month old to self settle off the boob when we stopped breastfeeding. Was a lifesaver!

SuzanneSays Thu 04-Feb-16 12:19:29

Kraggle I am at this stage now and desperate to hear what worked for others! I really don't want to leave her to cry, she gets so so distressed when I refuse boob at night though.

Can anyone post a link to the thread as can't find it!

rrra Thu 04-Feb-16 13:42:20

Here you go Suzanne:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/sleep/a1394888-What-worked-for-us-Hope-this-helps

SuzanneSays Thu 04-Feb-16 13:57:18

Thank you rrra

Kraggle Fri 05-Feb-16 09:12:45

Suzanne for us it was so much easier than I expected and there was barely any crying.
Basically I usually fed to sleep but when we started I was ready to stop feeding altogether. She had a rotten cold which helped as she was too bunged up to feed anyway!

The first few days We did our normal routine but instead of me feeding, dh and I gave her a bottle with a straw of warm milk instead in our bed. When that was drank we took it in turns, placed her in her cot and just sat in her room and ignored her basically. she would roll about, play for a bit, try and get our attention etc then finally settle down, probably took an hour or two maybe more.

After a few nights we moved from next to her cot to the doorway (she was in the box room so it wasn't far!) then from the doorway to just outside the door in the hall with the door wide open, then hallway with door half shut then hallway with door closed.

It helped that she was that bit older to understand things more and if she did cry we did controlled crying ie left her two mins then went in, then 5 mins before going in etc.

flipflopson5thavenue Fri 05-Feb-16 12:20:29

worked well for DS1 when he was 14mo. when I say it worked well I mean it was a good first step towards DS1 sleeping better and I used it to nightwean. However I never progressed to getting out of the room..! We finally got out of the room when he was about 2yo.... and now we're back in the room as he shares with DS2 (15mo), and he needs me to be with him when he falls asleep, so DS1 gets me too smile

Nothing is linear. Something will help for a bit, and then things will change and something else will come along. But I think it's a good place to start.

good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now