10 week old will only sleep on me

(6 Posts)
crumbs12 Wed 03-Feb-16 10:48:58

Please does anyone have any advice.

My ten week old will only sleep on me. At night he'll generally do one 3 hour stretch in his Moses basket when he initially goes down.After that he wakes every 1.5 hours and will only settle/sleep on me. In the daytime he will only nap on me. I try and put him on the sofa/ in the sleepyhead when i think he's in a deep sleep but 5 mins later he's crying and wants to be on me.

I don't know how much longer I can do this for! I have a toddler too and days when I have both of them are just so incredible hard

FATEdestiny Wed 03-Feb-16 10:59:22

A bouncer (minus the play arch) might help for daytime sleeps. With a dummy.

See the metal legs? You can sit on the sofa with the bouncer (play arch removed) on the floor in front of you and with your feet on each of the metal feet - bounce, bounce, bounce that baby into sleep submission. Reinsert dummy as needed but aside from that just... keep... going.

At night time I find a 3-sided cot better than a moses basket, because there is no barrier between you and baby. I just removed one side off my normal cot and butted it up to the bed. It means you can cuddle right into the cot at night.

Also remember the mantra for the first 6 months - more milk and more sleep than you would expect.

Feed baby as much as possible, especially through the daytime. More milk solves many problems.

Watch awake time to aovoid over-tiredness. I would limit awake timebetween one nap and the next to 40-60 minutes at this age. More sleep promotes better sleep. An over-tired baby is very hard work to get to sleep compared to a just-tired baby. Aim to get baby back to sleep before showing any tired signs. Tired signs actually mean baby is over-tired and needed to be asleep half an hour ago.

crumbs12 Wed 03-Feb-16 12:15:49

Thanks fate, some really great tips there.
Do you think I'm too late to start swaddling ?
I will definitely try the bouncer to get him off for naps.
Was hoping to avoid buying a side sleeper but it's looking increasingly likely that we'll have to give it a go. The Cotbed is currently being used by my toddler.
Gosh I feel like I've forgotten everything from the first time around, I had so many problems with my first and am determined not to fall into the same traps. But alas here I am with zero confidence when it comes to babies and sleep.

crumbs12 Wed 03-Feb-16 12:21:53

Thanks fate, some really great tips there.
Do you think I'm too late to start swaddling ?
I will definitely try the bouncer to get him off for naps.
Was hoping to avoid buying a side sleeper but it's looking increasingly likely that we'll have to give it a go. The Cotbed is currently being used by my toddler.
Gosh I feel like I've forgotten everything from the first time around, I had so many problems with my first and am determined not to fall into the same traps. But alas here I am with zero confidence when it comes to babies and sleep.

FATEdestiny Wed 03-Feb-16 13:11:45

Its not too late to start using a swaddle, if baby likes it.

SIDS recommendations do not give a limit on when a baby should stop using a swaddle by. However they do state that if a baby is to be swaddled, this should be something introduced in a baby under 3 months old and that to begin swaddling a baby older than 3 months old has an increased SIDS risk.

You don't need to buy a special side-sleeper, just a normal cot with one side taken off (easily done with an allen key). That way there is no rush to evict your toddler from his bed, if baby has his own cot to use.

Namechangenamechange456 Wed 03-Feb-16 13:13:27

DS would only sleep in a bouncer with the vibration setting turned on, was an absolute life saver for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now