Talk

Advanced search

20 month old started skipping nap every few days

(9 Posts)
GlummyMummy Tue 02-Feb-16 20:33:13

My daughter has just turned 20 months and for the last couple of weeks she has only had a daytime nap 4 or 5 days out of 7. The days when she skips the nap she goes down in her cot as usual, letting me leave the room, but then after ten minutes or so, she starts talking and it soon escalates into crying and shouting for me. Once I have to go into her, it's game over for the nap, she refuses to let me leave the room again and won't settle at all. I usually try to take her out in the car or in the pram to see if she will nap a little later on in the afternoon but she never does and just seems to keep going on adrenaline till bedtime, getting more and more wound up rather than tired! Friends say with their kids that they just try again for the nap later and that usually works, but my daughter seems to just decide she isn't having one that day and that's that! She usually sleeps through the night fine though, fingers crossed!

I wonder if the reason for all this might be that she sometimes doesn't get up til 8am, despite everyone in the house making loads of noise with showers next door to her room etc. Should I be waking her at 7am or is it best to let her sleep as long as she wants in the morning and then forget about the nap? Just wondering what is best. The annoying thing is that on the days when she misses the nap she still seems to be tired, as on the other days. Hoping this isn't her working up to dropping the nap entirely as it seems too soon!!!

UmbongoUnchained Tue 02-Feb-16 20:35:54

My 18 month old doesn't nap at all. She sleeps from 8pm-9:30/10am. Maybe she's just ready to drop it?

offside Tue 02-Feb-16 21:35:53

It could be a eithrr her dropping the nap or just not needing it at the same time as she is up later.

When my DD dropped her morning nap, she still needed it, in that she was still tired and cranky but she just refused it. It soon ironed itself out.

As for my DDs afternoon nap, if she gets up later than 07:30 it is always harder for her to go down for a nap, so I suspect if she slept until 08:00 she would absolutely refuse her afternoon nap.

I wouldn't wake her up though, unless you really want her to have that nap to see her through the day.

offside Tue 02-Feb-16 21:36:15

My DD is 18 months old by the way.

GlummyMummy Thu 04-Feb-16 12:58:50

I think our days with the naps may be numbered! This week she missed it Sunday, Tuesday and today!! Very strange as today she was rubbing her eyes furiously when I took her up but has just spent the last 30 minutes in her cot shouting for me! I know as soon as I go in to her she will want up so just been trying to do other things and let her shout! She was up at 7.30 this morning so I felt sure she would have her nap!

offside - I think you're right about not waking her up in the morning but I think today shows it maybe doesn't have that much to do with when she gets up anyway as she was up earlier today and still refusing her nap. She should hopefully still sleep through tonight so perhaps doesn't need the nap but she was rubbing her eyes today so must be tired!! 20 months seems so young to have no nap too!!

Seeline Thu 04-Feb-16 13:03:36

Both mine stopped napping at 18 months. With DS I fought it for a couple of weeks, but it just wasn't worth the stress of him yelling for 20 mins in his cot. With DD she went from 3 hr naps to just saying no one day and that was it. With both of them, if they were being particularly grotty because of being over tired in the immediate period of stopping, I could pop them in the car a drive for a bit until they dropped off. Both woke up as soon as I stopped though, and it really only worked for a month or so.

GlummyMummy Thu 04-Feb-16 20:35:36

The car thing used to work for us too but now she seems to think it's an adventure and sits in the back laughing and mucking about!!

I was really hoping it wasn't the end of the nap, but seems that way. I'm just not sure at what point do I stop trying to get her to nap..ie, after how many days with no nap would I just stop taking her up to her cot etc?

Seeline Fri 05-Feb-16 08:50:25

I would've thought a week. You could always try 'quiet time' instead of a nap. If you would normally put her down after lunch, just cuddle on the sofa and read a few books for half an hour or so. May help get through the rest of the day. She will be really grumpy and tired for a while until she adjusts - good luck!

GlummyMummy Fri 05-Feb-16 13:57:48

thanks! Fingers crossed! It's just difficult as I find it hard to predict when she's going to nap and when she isn't. Yesterday when I put her down everything was as normal, she was clearly tired and I remember coming out her room and thinking "great, I can go and get on with something" as I was convinced she was asleep, yet she didn't nap! Find I'm wasting time trying to get her to go down when she doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now