Talk

Advanced search

How often does your 6 mo wake in the night?

(22 Posts)
trebleclef101 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:14:52

My DD went through the dreaded 4 month regression, then had a cold, so sleep was messed up for a while.

But we are now back to between 10 and 12 hours sleep each night with two feeds (she is EBF).

Just curious about others the same age really, I know every baby is different!

Purpleboa Mon 01-Feb-16 12:31:56

I would love that! You are very lucky. My 7 month DD wakes too many times to count...

NickyEds Mon 01-Feb-16 13:28:24

Mine too Purplesad. She goes to bed at 7-7.30 and wakes every 30 minutes or so and needs resettling (it's very quick though).At 10-10.30 ish I go to bed which inevitably disturbs her and she has a bottle (she has 2 bottles a day now-the rest bf). She then goes to sleep. Last night she woke at 12, then 1.20 for a feed. She then came into bed with me (dp has de-camped to the spare room) and woke every 45 minutes or so. It's not full on waking just needing dummy putting back in, hand holding, tummy patting etc. She has another feed at 5.30 ish then I get up with ds at 6-6.30 and she stays in bed until 7.30 ish. It's been like this for 6 weeks now.

I'm knackered sad

mikado1 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:34:02

I have stopped counting and stopped looking at the clock. I have him in with me from 10ish as often difficult to settle back and have lost the will to try. Wakes on and off then for a feed maybe 3/4 times and for so other now and then... ds1 was doing 7-7 at this stage!! I need a chocolate IV to get me through!! Blw for solids so unlikely to have a full tummy from food anytime soon!

mikado1 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:36:59

The wonder weeks app shows a cloud at the mo Nicky, I wonder if your lo going through a leap.. last leap tied in with sleep regression here and hit us hard! (Had been doing 7-8 hour stretches for a few weeks before that.) sad

kbro79 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:38:06

Approx 435 times smile

FreeButtonBee Mon 01-Feb-16 14:18:56

DS is 6 mi next week and on a good night wakes around midnight for a feed and then around3.30/4. He can be quite difficult to resettle at 4 though and is often up at 6am. He might need one or two quick resettles on top of that but they would normally only take 5 mins max. He is in a cot tight against our bed though so can resettle quite easily.

Bad night - can wake every hour buy I stil try tk only feed twice - 3 times max - as he really don't need it.

We currently vascillate between one good night / two bad nights but we've had the pox/colds/BCG in the past month so forgive able.

NickyEds Mon 01-Feb-16 14:22:57

mikado- It started when we begun to put her to bed on her own at 7ish. Before that she'd just sleep on me all evening downstairs but it just started to drive me nuts so we moved her f feed to 7 and started to put her to bed-since then it's been shit. Before that she'd nap on me (and bf) all evening, have a ff at 10ish then sleep until 5-6am, have a feed then sleep until 7-8ish. It's like she just has to know I'm there.

Gillian1980 Mon 01-Feb-16 17:07:35

DD is 6m this week and we are very lucky that she usually sleeps very well, bed at 7ish and sleeps through until 8 or 9am.

She very occasionally wakes during the night. Last night she woke at 5am but was happy enough, she babbled for a couple of minutes then went back to sleep.

When she's been poorly or teething particularly badly then she's woken a few times wanting cuddles, but will go back to sleep after a reassuring kiss and cuddle.

NickyEds Mon 01-Feb-16 21:06:13

Gillian I'm completely envy!

FifiFerusha Mon 01-Feb-16 22:43:54

OMG Gillian that is wonderful x x good for you x x How does she sleep in the day?

My DS, 6mo. wakes sometimes between 9 and 11 and always between 4 to 5. sometimes before, sometimes after. Reading this thread I am realizing that this is not so bad. I was spoilt as DD slept from 7 until 6 from 4 months. Sometimes they are just all so different, sincerely, no matter what we do x

Gillian1980 Mon 01-Feb-16 22:49:23

She is terrible at napping during the day, but seeing as she sleeps so well at night I can't really complaint.

She needs to be rocked to sleep and held for her naps, fighting it the whole time despite being tired.

Gillian1980 Mon 01-Feb-16 22:52:39

But honestly, I'm convinced that a lot of it is pure luck of the drawer. Some babies are just good sleepers and some aren't, even if they're parented the same.

Nottalotta Tue 02-Feb-16 06:26:59

Ds is 6mo and sleep is, variable i think.is the word! Bed anytime between 5.30 and 7 depending on how shit his nap have been. Then on a good day sleeps 3 hrs, feed, back in cot for 3 rs, feed and co sleep. Rarely happens like that after the initial few weeks.

A bad day is waking 8 times between 6 & 8 and me giving in and going to bed with him at 9,.for him to stir looking for the boob every 30-40 minutes.

So envious of those with two night feeds, let alone Gillian!!

Kaz4755 Tue 02-Feb-16 06:33:11

Can I join? My baby is 6.5 months and for the last week or so miraculously only had been getting up twice a night for a feed! Last night I have been up over 12 times to her bless her. Could it be teething? She doesn't have any teeth yet. I don't know what to do to help her... I brought her in with me at 5.50am and she is snoozing on me, something I have tried to avoid for a few months.

Schmoochypoos Tue 02-Feb-16 06:48:11

My 6m old DS goes down around 645/715 and will sleep until around 2330 when he wakes for a feed, then wakes again around 130 and 430, he feeds and goes back down really well but is then awake again at 530 ready to start the day shock

He is ebf. Still feeding every 2/4 hours during the day as well. I'm exhausted!

trebleclef101 Sat 06-Feb-16 18:57:26

It's interesting to see the variety in responses!

We have always struggled with bed time but once she is down she generally sleeps well enough.

Kaz4755 It could be teething, my LO has just sprouted her first tooth but her sleep was disturbed for a little while before the tooth actually appeared. We tried Dentinox gel and it seems to help.

Gillian1980 I agree, it's so true that a lot of it is the luck of the draw, every baby is sooo different!

GoldenPenguin Sun 14-Feb-16 09:45:00

Thank god for this thread.my son is 6.5 months. A while back he was sleeping through the night from 6pm-7am with 2 wakes. At that time his naps were awful!

We've totally switched now. His naps are longer but night sleep is a train wreck! Goes down between 6-6.30pm and wakes at 8ish... then 10ish. At that point if he won't settle he comes in with me. My partner is only home at weekends and he is sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag.

Nightmare :-( oddly he goes to bed beautifully. Its later on that it all goes to hell!!!

FreeButtonBee Sun 14-Feb-16 10:18:12

Yes, we've been having this too. Naps suddenly extending to 1hr-1.5hr - hooray! Don't know what to do with myself in the day time. But had some v early starts and more broken nights. Also dealing with very distractible feeds so have to hide away and feed in my bedroom (not easy with 3 to twins rampaging downstairs!!)

waitingforsomething Sun 14-Feb-16 15:44:12

Anything goes with my DS who is 7months exactly. Night before last he went down at 6.30pm. Woke screaming at 9- had calpol and went back off until 5. He then faffed a lot, I fed him at 5.45 and he went back to sleep till 8.
Last night, down at 6.30, not a peep till 5.45 when I fed him and he slept till 7.45.
Some nights he wakes loads sometimes not at all but never wants milk till 5.30/6. Sometimes he goes back to sleep sometimes up for the day

Purpleboa Sun 14-Feb-16 15:50:14

Definitely luck. Tbh I get very annoyed when people imply it's down to the parenting. Some babies are just harder to help get to sleep than others! Especially if you are ebf them. Things can change so fast though, so even the good sleepers can go through bad stages. I'm just trying to accept it for what it is and hope it will get better at some point soon....

FeelToBeFree Sun 14-Feb-16 21:46:24

Glad to have found this thread.

DS2 is seven months, ebf and settles beautifully at bedtime but then wakes every 2/3 hours and can take up to 2 hours to resettle sad

He has never been close to sleeping through, but a month ago got quite sick (lots of blood tests, biopsies etc so quite traumatic for him). Even though he is now largely recovered he hasn't slept for longer than three hours since then.

We are both miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now