Talk

Advanced search

I am exhausted - help!

(23 Posts)
MrsP0308 Mon 01-Feb-16 07:18:06

Please can someone help. I am a FTM of a little boy who is nearly 6 months old. He's never been a fantastic sleeper but generally we had reached the point he would go down at 7 and sleep until 5. However a week ago he picked up a cold (he has seen a doctor) and has not slept at night since. He will nap fine through the day but at night time I have to settle him every hour or so. He is constantly crying (mostly with his eyes still shut!). He isn't hungry. It isn't his teeth as we have tried bonjela and nelsons powders. Me and my partner are exhausted. What do we do?
Thanks in advance.

iamhopeful Mon 01-Feb-16 07:29:55

You have my sympathy, ds is nearly 6 months and has been doing the same since we went away for a few days two weeks ago. Dh can't cope with being tired so I am alone in getting up and am exhausted. I'll be following in the hope of some good advice but wanted you to know you are not alone

MrsP0308 Mon 01-Feb-16 07:31:27

I'd just like to add he's in a cot in his own room. He has been for months now.

Thanks iamhopeful - it's nice to have a bit of solidarity !

slebmum1 Mon 01-Feb-16 07:34:11

If you think it might be his teeth try calpol or nurofen.

MrsP0308 Mon 01-Feb-16 08:22:21

Hi I don't think it's his teeth. We have tried both of those.

Eminado Mon 01-Feb-16 08:41:58

I think my DD had a sleep regression at that age - and it ended when she learnt to crawl. I was exhausted at the time.
Not very helpful reply but it does pass.

Could he be too cold?

All i can suggest is sleep with him during the day just to survive.

Do you follow the wonder weeks?

MrsFlorrick Mon 01-Feb-16 08:44:07

Even though he has seen a doctor is it worth taking him back to one?

As he is crying in his sleep, he must be in pain. Could it be an ear infection or tonsilitis?

nottheop Mon 01-Feb-16 08:45:37

Hi - how does he fall asleep?

MrsP0308 Mon 01-Feb-16 09:26:17

Eminado - I don't think he's too cold, he has long sleeved baby grow, vest and sleeping bag on and his room is 18degrees. What are the wonder weeks?

Nottheop - he is bounced/rocked/patted to sleep. He will not go to sleep any other way. We tried PU/PD but over an hour of hysterical screaming was too much and we gave in.

nottheop Mon 01-Feb-16 09:35:20

It does sound like a fairly typical sleep regression. You can either:

Wait it out
Teach him how to fall asleep on his own. There are a thousand methods and you can just decide if you want to do a 'crying' method or a more gentle method. They are all effective but the crying methods are usually faster.

Eminado Mon 01-Feb-16 09:42:02

Hi OP

www.thewonderweeks.com/

You can download the app

MrsP0308 Mon 01-Feb-16 10:51:39

Emiando - how long did the sleep regression last for your little one?

Eminado Mon 01-Feb-16 13:40:43

Erm......quite a long time. Sorry! 5 weeks or so?

Is your baby attempting to sit up/roll/crawl or anything like that? The sooner they learn the thing the sooner the sleep settles unless they start teething or get ill 👀

MrsP0308 Mon 01-Feb-16 13:51:46

He's very close to both sitting up and crawling! That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. Hope he learns it soon !

Eminado Mon 01-Feb-16 14:36:19

Ah! Developmental milestone ... That old sleep messer-upper!!!

grin

Heatherbell1978 Mon 01-Feb-16 14:40:12

My LO slept badly at that age, had a cold for around 3 weeks too which was awful. He started sleeping through around 7 months though....

What about a dummy? Might be too late to introduce one if you don't already but for a baby that needs settled to sleep it might help. Longer term it's worth trying to get baby to settle without you but perhaps not while ill.

MrsP0308 Wed 03-Feb-16 14:34:21

Thanks everyone! Last night he slept from
8pm-6am, waking up for a bottle at 11 and for his dummy at 2.30 which, compared to how he has been sleeping lately is amazing! I'm hoping this means the end of bad sleep is in sight !!

Has anyone got any advice for trying the controlled crying method though? DS will NOT fall asleep on his own at all and every nap/bed time is a 20 minute battle where he physically fights sleep. Thanks.

nottheop Wed 03-Feb-16 14:47:23

For controlled crying, listen to the cry. Only go in if they're still roaring after x minutes, if they're starting to tail off, don't go and wind them up again by going in.

At 6 months, I'd probably limit the time to 10 minutes at an absolute max but would usually go in after 1 min, 2 mins and then 5 minute intervals.

When you go in, the aim isn't to settle, it's a quick shh, there-there and then go. Don't get them out of the cot. Try to spend less than a minute in the room. You're just reminding them that you're still around really. I used to say ' it's okay, it's just time to go to sleep now' but that was more for me!

MrsP0308 Wed 03-Feb-16 15:10:57

Thanks very much nottheop. I'm hoping to try it this weekend now that he's pretty much over his cold. He's a big baby (20lb at last weigh in 2 weeks ago!) so rocking him is getting really difficult.

How long does it take to work?

nottheop Wed 03-Feb-16 15:45:06

He is a big baby! If they're ready, it generally takes 3-7 days. Just make sure he's fed, clean nappy and comfortable and you're all set to give it a go.

They often put up their biggest fight on the second and third night.

MrsP0308 Wed 03-Feb-16 16:02:32

He was 9lb 11oz newborn. confused
Thanks for your help! Fingers gets crossed it goes okay for us X

MrsP0308 Fri 05-Feb-16 17:59:36

Do you do controlled crying at nap time? How?

nottheop Fri 05-Feb-16 18:59:03

The same way really. It's a good idea to have a nap routine of into the room and close the curtains, nappy change and read a short book or something along those lines then put down wide awake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now