My 18m old won't sleep in her own cot anymore

(3 Posts)
Cjonesx Fri 29-Jan-16 16:02:28

Hi this is my first thread, I've just joined mumsnet to see if any other mums have had the same problem and if so how they got there baby out of it.

My daughter is 18 months and has always been a good sleeper since new born, I've always been able to put her in her cot and she would fall asleep by herself.
Last month me and my partner went to New York for a weekend for our wedding anniversary and we decided to leave our daughter here in England, she stayed with my dad and his wife and his 3 kids who are all under 4. She was really good staying with them , was going to bed as normal. The last day she was with them she caught a viral infection off of one of the kids so was quite miserable when we got her back.
The first night back with us I put her down in her cot as normal and she went to sleep but in the night would keep waking up coughing or where she couldn't breath where she was so bunged up so i ended up bringing her into my bed so I could keep an eye on her, worrying that she could choke. This carried on for about a week until she was better. Tried getting her back into her bed without coming into ours in the night, but now as soon as I even walk into her room to put her in her bed she hysterically cries. I've tried leaving her, but she gets so worked up she bangs her mouth on the end of the cot and where her gums are sensitive from teething she makes her gums bleed. I just don't know how to get her back into her own bed. It's like she's scared to sleep on her own now. I've tried sleeping in her cot with her to fall asleep but as soon as I leave the room she wakes up. And I've tried moving her from my bed to hers, but the same thing she automatically wakes up and cries.

Any ideas of what to do ?
Thank you

FATEdestiny Fri 29-Jan-16 16:27:37

I would stay with her and keep lying her back down and re-settling, until she is asleep.

It will take a long time initially and probably a lot of tears. But you stay there with her. Keep lying her back down, firm hand on her chest/back with occasional patting and shushing as needed. Be caring but be consistent - that the must lie down and sleep in her cot and you will stay right here until that happens.

Do the same if she wakes in the night.

Keep doing this for a good week, always staying with her reassuring until fully asleep. This will allow it to be established that she will be sleeping in her cot and not with you. Once this is accepted, start the process of gradually reducing the amount of reassurance that she needs to get to sleep.

Cjonesx Fri 29-Jan-16 16:34:30

Thank you for your reply I will definatly stick to it this time as it needs to change

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now