Have we left it too late

(20 Posts)
Dollymixtureyumyum Tue 26-Jan-16 21:01:30

Been told today by a health visitor friend that we should have put DS aged 2 years 6 months in a bed by now and we will have missed the window so putting him in a bed now will be hell.
Ds is fine in his cot, does not climb out and sleeps through. We thought of moving him into a cot bed in about a months time as I have a week off work so it does not really matter if I am kept up.
Friend says we need to do it now as longer we leave it the harder it will be.

beeny Tue 26-Jan-16 21:04:40

Do it in a months time, health visitor is being over the top about a non issue.

FATEdestiny Tue 26-Jan-16 21:06:49

Your HV is talking utter bollocks. Ignore.

2tired2bewitty Tue 26-Jan-16 21:09:53

Due to space constraints, a very protracted house move, and the fact that she never once tried to climb out, dd1 only moved out of her cot just after her fourth birthday. Moving her into a bed caused no problems whatsoever and she has slept happily in it ever since. I think your HV might be stressing you out over nothing.

Buttwing Tue 26-Jan-16 21:12:31

Utter bollocks left all mine til after 3. Never had a problem none of them ever got up they all used to shout "mummy" from their beds. Think they were so used to bars they didn't realise they could get outgrin

Octonought Tue 26-Jan-16 21:14:35

Agreed, bollocks. All mine were in cots until around age 3 then went into beds easily. Why have 2 year olds roaming the house at night if they are happy and safe in a cot?

Artistic Tue 26-Jan-16 21:15:45

Mine moved out of her cot at 3. She was really excited to have a 'big girl's' bed. Age was no big deal at all. People are seriously OTT sometimes! I'd say take your time and do it when convenient.

slebmum1 Tue 26-Jan-16 21:15:54

That is absolute bollocks. We didn't switch DTs until they were 2.8. Never had any issues and they have never got out of bed at night either.

Dollymixtureyumyum Tue 26-Jan-16 21:16:54

Thanks made me feel a lot better. Ds does sleep well but I know if he was in a bed he would be up and roaming around.

blamethecat Tue 26-Jan-16 21:22:01

I took the sides of Ds bed at Christmas When he was 2 1/2, He has only got out once but shouts me to come and get him and started waking again and hasn't slept through since so, if you are happy carry on.

caravanista Tue 26-Jan-16 21:23:25

Ridiculous advice! Do it when it suits you.

StrawberryLeaf Tue 26-Jan-16 21:24:02

Yip bollocks! Dd went into a bed at just over 3, no problem whatsoever. In fact in some ways easier because she was so excited about her big girl bed.

Liveinthepresent Tue 26-Jan-16 21:28:23

Yep later the better I thought ! My DD was 3 ish and it was a doddle - agree with PP they are so excited but also conditioned to stay put ! Also at three I think it's all much easier to explain.
We are doing exactly the same with DS who is 2.5 - no rush as long as he doesn't climb. I go the whole hog and keep him in a sleep bag to reduce the risk of that !

Alyx80 Tue 26-Jan-16 21:29:14

Rubbish! My DS2 was 2y10m and ds3 was 3y9m before I took the sides off their cotbed. They were perfectly happy so I left them until they could climb out and it was dangerous. Ds2 was In and out of bed a bit at first but ds3 has been brilliant, rarely gets up once he's in bed and sleeps exactly the same as he did before.
Ds1 was 23m when he climbed out and much harder, am hoping ds4 will be over 3 too!

RainDancer Tue 26-Jan-16 21:31:55

FFS. HV's have a lot to answer for. I've yet to come across one that doesn't talk utter bollocks. My DD was in a cot until well after she turned 2. She showed no interest in climbing out and seemed quite happy in there. I only changed it to the bed in the end because I thought it was about time. I worried it would be a nightmare and she was not bothered in the slightest. She's 3 now and still very happy in her bed. Do it when it feels right for you and when you're not stressed out just in case she does find it strange at first.

Pipestheghost Tue 26-Jan-16 21:35:32

Utter crap! All my dc's were in a cot till 3 years and took to sleeping in a bed with no problems at all. Don't worry smile

Amy214 Tue 26-Jan-16 22:06:59

Its rubbish, my health visitor only said to move my daughter out of her cot when she starts climbing out of it as its unsafe, so shes still in hers at 2 years old

Dollymixtureyumyum Tue 26-Jan-16 22:20:49

Again thanks everyone.
I remember someone once saying to me that a heath visitors job is to point out any flaws your mother may have forgot to mention grin

DangerMouth Wed 27-Jan-16 11:05:29

Dd1 was 3 and we had absolutely no problem. Your HV friend is talking rubbish, and quite frankly it's a stupid thing to say.

londonowl Thu 28-Jan-16 10:28:40

Hi Dollymix, I moved my Dd1 into her first big girls bed last week, she is 3 and 3 months and she loves it; she wakes up every morning and asks if she can keep it! I don't think you've left it too late at all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now