What colour should a night light be?

(9 Posts)
Wibblewobble100 Mon 25-Jan-16 12:33:27

I thought blue light (eg from to and computer screen) was supposed to stop you sleeping but all thelights on the baby monitor, calpol plug in etc are blue.... Is a red light better?

FATEdestiny Mon 25-Jan-16 13:32:08

If the specific colour of a tiny light is causing the child to not be able to sleep, then there are more sleep issues in place than just the colour of the light.

I am sure that there probably will be some research into the more and less restful light colours, but I honestly cannot imagine the colour of tiny LED lights having any significant impact on anyones sleep.

Tweedledumb0 Mon 25-Jan-16 13:37:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Serenelight Mon 25-Jan-16 13:47:38

I have green ones they are called "moonlight" and are energy saving

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000LQ1O94/ref=mpss_a11_1?qid=1453729590&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=moonlight+night+light&dpPl=1&dpID=4193ZAn-fbL&ref=plSrch

SkiptonLass2 Mon 25-Jan-16 18:38:58

Blue light suppressed melatonin and it takes surprisingly little to do it. From memory I think 40lux or so or the amount from a phone can significantly reduce melatonin after a couple of hours exposure.

Red light is therefore your best bet. Also, no screens before bedtime!

moggle Tue 26-Jan-16 13:23:20

I agree that blue light is wakening - I think because it's more like daylight? We had the gro egg in our room when DD slept in with us, and on cold nights when it got below 16C and the egg went blue I always woke up. it took me a surprising amount of time to put two and two together and unplug it! The blue light just seems to light up the whole room much more than the other colours (red and orange).

Now DD is in her own room and has the gro egg in there which is used just as a night light, a couple of weeks ago when it was really cold we had a couple of disturbed nights - not so unusual but her being wide awake afterwards was - and I then realised it was due to the blue light. Unplugged it and she slept through for the rest of the cold snap.

but agree with fate that little LEDs on monitors etc shouldn't really have an effect.

magpie17 Tue 26-Jan-16 13:36:00

Red light is good, I bought a small egg-shaped touch light from b&q which you can touch to change to four or five different colours, I have always put it on the red one and DS is a great sleeper! The bonus with this is that you can switch to white light when you need a bit more light (nappy change etc), the red is pretty dim.

NorthernRosie Tue 26-Jan-16 14:07:49

Blue light suppresses melatonin which keeps you awake so not good to have at night and yes could affect baby's sleep. We use led candles as they have a nice soft glow

PurpleTreeFrog Tue 26-Jan-16 15:03:14

We've got these from IKEA. They're great, not too bright, not too dark, the white one isn't too much of a blue white, the orange one is a dim, warm orange a bit like a streetlight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now