Talk

Advanced search

10 week old breastfed baby doesnt want to be put down to sleep

(8 Posts)
MaiyesMum Fri 22-Jan-16 02:08:14

Hey guys! So my dd doesnt refuses to sleep on anyone else but me (as sometimes my dh). Its been like this since birth and initially I didnt mind co sleeping however, id prefer for us to use the side bassinet. Ive been trying to put her down to sleep when she's drowsy (when im nursing or rocking her) but she snaps right out of it and starts crying!!! She's fallen asleep by herself twice and Im trying to encourage more of this so she can self soothe better. Does anyone have any tips for me?? Im at my wits end! Ive been up rocking all night cos immediately i put her down she wakes up and then we have to start the process all over again!

YokoUhOh Fri 22-Jan-16 02:33:17

Your baby is normal. Babies can't self-soothe, and most babies just want to be on their mum 24/7. Babies don't have 'wants', just 'needs' and yours needs to be on you. So don't feel guilty and keep co-sleeping/feeding to sleep for as long as you like - it's perfectly normal. (Read up on 'fourth trimester'). Good luck and enjoy the cuddles!

Marzipants Fri 22-Jan-16 03:21:48

10 week old babies are the worst! (I an currently trapped under an 11 week old.)

This stage will pass but it's terrible while you're in it. Keep trying to put her down. Use the arm drop test to make sure she's fully asleep when you do. You could even warm her cot with a hot water bottle so the temp is roughly the same as you. Is she warm enough?

Good luck! It gets better, honest!

StrawberryLeaf Fri 22-Jan-16 03:27:42

Is it a co sleeping cot? I found it helped to finish feeding her in the cot so I didn't need to put her down.

I used to lie against the mattress of the cot to warm it before putting her in.

Shush/pat sometimes worked for me too.

CityDweller Fri 22-Jan-16 16:45:06

Have you tried swaddling? DS was like this until 4ish weeks, then I started swaddling him and it helped a lot.

ero30 Fri 22-Jan-16 21:48:49

I was having the same problem with my 7 week old and have made the decision to put her to sleep on her stomach. I'm really careful with this; she sleeps right next to my bed and her neck is strong enough that she's able to turn her head from side to side when she's on her tummy. The sheets are pulled tight and I keep the blankets low and well away from her face. I know this decision isn't for everyone and lots of people are horrified. However, she's now sleeping for 5 hours stretches (as am I) and we're both a lot happier. I started out doing this for her naps so I could watch over her before I was comfortable enough to do it at nighttime. I know it's not for everyone, but it works for us and might be worth a try if you're really at the end of your rope!

buntingbingo Fri 22-Jan-16 22:01:02

We have our three week old on a cocoonababy that's next to me in the bed. So she's up higher, but I can put an arm round her or just on her tummy. It's working ok...... for now.

MaiyesMum Sat 23-Jan-16 07:59:25

Thanks guys for all the suggestions guys! @citydweller DD detests being swaddled! Shes not liked it now for three weeks! We had a better sleep last night and ill keep on trying...hopefully this phase passes as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now