Talk

Advanced search

Waking at end of sleep cycle

(7 Posts)
ANiceSliceOfCake Wed 20-Jan-16 21:13:02

My 6 month old fussed at the end of nearly every night time sleep cycle, so every 45-60 mins. I can get him back to sleep easy enough with a quick shhhhh pat but then im wide awake!

He's a cat napper in the day and unless he's in the car, will only sleep for 20 min naps.

I can cope with the naps but I know people always ask about naps when trying to give you sleep advice and I didn't want to leave it out. He's EBF too if that makes any difference.

So, how can you stop a 6 month old waking at the end of each sleep cycle?

NickyEds Wed 20-Jan-16 21:27:53

I don't know.

My 6 month old has started doing this. All. Night. Long. She's not wide awake, or needing feeding, just wants her hand holding or head stroking or dummy replacing. We co sleep and i still don't get any sleep. Bah.

FATEdestiny Wed 20-Jan-16 21:38:54

You'll need to look at how he goes to sleep. Once he can fall asleep independently, this should help significantly.

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 21-Jan-16 15:01:35

That's the thing, when we initially put him in his cot he's awake and can eventually fall asleep, but he just can't do it in he middle of the night, he rubs his eyes quit hard, his dummy falls out and he gets all upset.

Should I stop the shhhh pat to get him to sleep and just leave him to it? He will eventually cry a lot so I'd have to do the pick up put down thing?

FATEdestiny Thu 21-Jan-16 19:04:24

The dummy falling out happens. Its a phase. By the time he's about 7 or 8 months old he should be able to put his won dummy back in during the night.

I coped with this by keeping baby's cot next to my bed so that I just needed reach in without even opening my eyes to re-insert dummy. If you are quick about it, you can usually resettle quickly.

There's a decent chance at 6 months old that the problem is to do with hunger. Milk has more calories than early weaning food so his milk intake needs to be maintained and often increased during early weaning months.

NickyEds Thu 21-Jan-16 20:45:36

ANice we're doing "resettle ASAP"! Dummy back in, hand on chest until she resettles. During the night she's in a crib pushed right up to the bed so ,as FATE says I can poke my hand in. After her feed when she's very hard to re settle I bring her into our bed. DP has been relegated to the spare room to make co sleeping as comfy as possible. The dummy count is up to about 10, half of which go into the cot with her (the glow in the dark ones!) and we've practised putting it in herself-which she can do during the day now.

I'm still knackered though!

ANiceSliceOfCake Thu 21-Jan-16 22:48:48

Thanks. Yes we have crib right next to me and I can get him back to sleep really quickly with a dummy insert and a shhhh but do you know when they grow out of waking up all the time?

I've not started weaning yet, was going to maybe start at weekend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now