Talk

Advanced search

Transferring to cot or basket = instant screaming. Help

(16 Posts)
SkiptonLass2 Tue 19-Jan-16 18:24:28

Right. Ds is 15 weeks and for the last week or two has been self settling brilliantly. In cot sleepy and asleep within minutes.
No more. Now transferring him to cot or Moses basket, whether awake, sleepy or not, day or night equals instant jerking awake and screaming.
Why?? He's s pretty chilled baby normally but this is wrecking his sleep. Hell yell until I go to him then he's all smiles and 'yay! Pick me up.'
Any advice? We were doing so well!

SkiptonLass2 Tue 19-Jan-16 18:29:34

Shhh pat enrages him

SmallGreenBouncyBall Tue 19-Jan-16 18:30:59

is it perhaps cold?
maybe put a blanket or towel under the sheet and a warm water bottle

RaisinGirls Tue 19-Jan-16 18:32:17

Could it be because there has been a drop in temperature? Is the cot : basket nice and warm before he lies down or is it a chilly sheet? I think often in these situations there is no real reason but it's good for your sanity to have a list of things to work through! Hopefully, someone else will come along with another idea for you to try. It will pass and it will get better, that was my little motto to myself X

TheCatsMeow Tue 19-Jan-16 18:32:43

Mine does this so I wait until he's in a deep sleep and then he stays asleep.

Putting down drowsy is more trouble than it's worth

SkiptonLass2 Tue 19-Jan-16 18:33:09

no it's not cold sad
I even laid on the mattress one night so it'd be me- temp and smell...

stargirl1701 Tue 19-Jan-16 18:34:52

4 month sleep regression...

SkiptonLass2 Tue 19-Jan-16 18:37:57

That's what's so odd... Even if he's out cold he's jerking awake. I'm trying to sort of restrain him so there's no arm flailing or startle. He was absolutely fine until this week and now he's acting like any cot or basket is the worst thing ever.
It's like there's a proximity alarm that goes off if I'm more than two feet away...

Currently trying not picking him out of the cot. Sitting next to it humming tuneless land he's sucking my finger (can't keep a dummy in.) he's stopped yelling ...

Gah. At what age can you reason with them ? smile

TheCatsMeow Tue 19-Jan-16 18:40:14

Can you try getting your DH to put him down? Weirdly sometimes DS won't go down if it's me but he's fine with my mum!

SkiptonLass2 Tue 19-Jan-16 18:42:29

I'll give it a try, cats!

M mum is visiting soon too. Will try some granny magic (both grannies have magical powers for soothing having had eight babies between them!)

TheCatsMeow Tue 19-Jan-16 18:46:10

Another thing I do is if he's screaming I take him down and let him watch a film with me, but don't interact too much. He gets bored and falls asleep.

Don't know how useful that will be though if he's jerking awake!

BeaufortBelle Tue 19-Jan-16 18:51:29

Before you put him down, is he asked in your arms, with his head up? Has he had a little cold in the last few weeks? Has he been at all clingy in this time? It might just be early separation anxiety - or he might have a little bit of earache. Might be worth checking with the GP?

My son's 21 BTW, he's just beginning to listen to reason wink

ShootTheMoon Tue 19-Jan-16 19:02:48

My vote is for the 4 month sleep regression. It begins at a certain gestational age according to Wonder Weeks.

(Have a 20 week old boy who is in week three of a five week bastard leap. No more sleeping through. Last night he was awake and foul between 3 and 6am, inexplicably. He was a fabulous sleeper until 16 weeks and now I am a jibbering wreck.)

SkiptonLass2 Tue 19-Jan-16 19:14:10

21. Ha! Long wait then..,

He has been very clingy. He seems to recognise me and gets upset if I walk off. No earache I think but he did have his first set of jabs at 12 weeks (they do them later here for some reason. He's also trying really hard to sit and roll over and is constantly expresding his verdict on things with a stream of "eh eh eh eh EH eh.." Or "Nej!!" (Swedish for no...shrieked at high volume whenever he's displeased..) probably just a lot going on in that little head right now. smile

Well, he's asleep. I didn't pick him up, had a quick nappy sniff, sat by him but not looking at him, let him suck my finger and he eventually went off.

BeaufortBelle Tue 19-Jan-16 22:05:28

Yep, that's another option, developmental spurts. Ours slept quite well from six weeks to six months. Then we learnt the hard way. He didn't actually need much sleep. I'll never forget the nights he cracked colours then animal noises, then various letter sounds. In the end, from about 2.5 we realised he slept all night if he went to bed when we did 10.30 ish and woke up at about six! "birds up, me up").

Good luck grin

AlexTaylor17 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:51:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now