Talk

Advanced search

Desperately in need of advice, ten month old won't nap at childcare at all

(6 Posts)
northernlassy1 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:53:56

My ten month old has always been hard to get to sleep and we fell into co sleeping and sling naps as a result. Now he is going to a (wonderful) childminder three days a week but simply will not sleep bar a snatched 26 mins in the middle of the day. She is great and trying to put him down but cannot use the sling because there are other children to look after. He usually has 2 or 2.5 hours. Obviously I blame myself for not teaching him to self settle - I rather naively believed the friends and relatives who said babies sleep differently in childcare setting. I don't think now is the time to suddenly withdraw the bf-ing or co sleeping that he loves given the other unsettling factors but would anyone have any ideas on how to support him? Or is this entirely normal and I wait a few painful weeks? Thank you in advance.

HalfStar Wed 13-Jan-16 20:54:04

How long has he been going to the cm? It should click eventually but it will take time. My daughter started nursery at the same age and though has napped in cot since 5 months, took her about 6 weeks to nap anything longer than 20/30 mins at nursery.
How about your cm feeds him a bottle of milk before his nap to ease him in? And if you can work on cot naps at home too that will help.

northernlassy1 Wed 13-Jan-16 21:24:29

Thank you for reply!
He has been settling in for about five weeks and really likes the cm. Has only been there long enough to nap for about a week tho. I should try harder with cot naps st home but it's a vicious circle if he gets under slept I like to do whatever I can to get him back up to par. How many days a week does your daughter do? Am worried he actually isn't going often enough to sort it out.

northernlassy1 Wed 13-Jan-16 21:25:38

Ps we have tried with bottle and will keep trying but he has never taken a bottle except from my mum and shows little sign of wanting it sad

HalfStar Wed 13-Jan-16 21:50:19

She goes everyday but not full days (and tbh picked up bugs straight away which meant she was out lots so settling took longer again...). I'd say just give it time really. The main thing is you and he like the CM so they'll find their own way through it.

northernlassy1 Thu 14-Jan-16 06:25:16

Thankyou - I do really like her am just so worried, he's a bit like a zombie when I pick him up tho still very sweetly dishing out smiles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now