Max age in a toddler bed?

(15 Posts)
kate7590 Wed 13-Jan-16 18:40:42

My little boy is nearly 2 and in a cotbed that is set up as a bed (without the sides)
Im having another baby in 6 months ish and plan to keep baby in travel cot until a few months old then both children will go into our spare bedroom in their beds/ cotbeds.

We had planned to get my little boy a single bed when he swaps bedrooms (about a year from now maybe) and then the baby can go in the cotbed.
But I was just wondering how long children can stay in a 'toddler' bed for? (same size as cotbed) as this would give them more room in the shared bedroom.

Obviously I don't want to waste too much money, which is why I figured just go ahead and buy a single bed, but the space thing has me wondering…

Any advice/ opinions?

PlumpFiction Wed 13-Jan-16 18:44:31

Depends on height more than age in my experience... So it depends how much growing room your son has in his bed...

soundsystem Wed 13-Jan-16 18:44:53

My DD's got bed says suitable for up to 4. She's younger than that so I don't know how realistic that is: size-wise a four-year-old would fit, but not sure if they'd want to be in it, maybe?

We got ours from a local sell or swap group and just bought a new mattress so wasn't a huge expense

hufflebottom Wed 13-Jan-16 18:45:11

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/59851606/

I've got this one for dd. She's 6. Still loads of room.

Bryna Wed 13-Jan-16 18:45:52

My middle DC was in a toddler bed til about 4, it depends on the length of the bed and if they have enough room to stretch out flat

CrumblyMumbly Wed 13-Jan-16 18:46:53

my dd is a tallish 5 year old and is still in a cotbed. If she comes off of the pillow her feet are nearly against the base though so I think we'll soon be looking for a single bed.

ijustwannadance Wed 13-Jan-16 18:47:04

My almost 5 year old is still in toddler size bed. She is fine in it for now.

Tuiles Wed 13-Jan-16 18:48:36

Like huffle my DC is 6 and still in that exact same idea bed. We are anticipating a move within the next year so he will eventually get his own room and bigger bed. I can see it lasting until 7 or so anyway.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Wed 13-Jan-16 20:17:56

until he is too tall, as no kid is going to be too heavy for one, as they take the weight of an adult sitting on them.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 13-Jan-16 20:24:59

You can buy extendable beds and mattresses from ikea (we have the minnen ones) so fantastic because you can use them at toddler size until the child outgrows them then just make the bed bigger without having to buy a whole new bed.

WhirlwindHugs Wed 13-Jan-16 20:27:34

These are ours: m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/spr/39124622/

tilder Wed 13-Jan-16 20:29:12

Until they don't fit. Then bunk beds.

Would say though that too much bouncing on our toddler bed makes the slats sag down. Same can happen if he wants a cuddle at night (he gets nightmares). No one hits the floor but can make you jump.

We have had the toddler bed for 9 years though and it's on its third occupant.

Hulababy Wed 13-Jan-16 20:30:06

My DD's friend was still in a cotbed or toddler bed (can't remember which) during her first year at school, possibly initially going into Y1. Was simply that a proper bed wouldn't fit in her tiny box room. She did still fit into though - average height child. When they moved house she got a full sized bed.

poocatcherchampion Fri 15-Jan-16 21:23:01

My 3yo has years of space.
My 2yo is a fidgety wriggler and we have been thinking she might be better in a single bed or single mattress on the floor.

SouthernComforter Sun 17-Jan-16 20:03:32

My 2.5yo is tall but still in his cot bed. We took the sides off and bought him a duvet but he was getting up earlier and earlier so the sides are back on at the moment and he's sometimes in a grobag.

I've got a 10wo baby too. The idea was to buy a bed and move toddler into it when baby needed the cotbed. But now I think we'll buy another cotbed 2nd hand for a while. I don't want to unsettle toddler and don't feel he's too old for a cotbed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now