Talk

Advanced search

22 month old sleep problems

(3 Posts)
chocolatedrops31 Tue 12-Jan-16 17:45:10

One of my twins who has always been an excellent sleeper has recently been playing up. She doesn't want to sleep at night or at naps and will scream and jump up when I put her down. Four nights ago she didn't sleep until 7:45 pm and then woke at 2 am and then at 6. That was after a one hour nap. Three nights ago she had only a ten minute nap in the day and then slept through the night (after initially resisting bed time), 7:30-7:30. Two nights ago she had a one hour nap and then resisted bed time, woke at 3 am and then woke at 6 am for the day. Last night, after a 30 minute day time nap, she resisted bed time, then woke at 4 am. She didn't fall asleep again until 7 am and then only for 20 minutes!
I am going in at 5 minute intervals, laying her back down and generally after the 5th or 6th attempt she will stop resisting. Although at 4 am this morning she point blank refused and just screamed whenever we left the room. My husband eventually lay on the floor of her room but she still didn't sleep but didn't cry. In desperation I eventually climbed into her cot and she then promptly fell asleep.

Generally When she wakes in the early morning (and I guess 4 am counted as morning yesterday), she will scream until we get her up (which I don't do before 7). A week ago she was sleeping 1.5 hr ltn and 12.5 hours at night. She has been an excellent sleeper since she was 5 months old! She is now shattered during the day as are the whole family. I am unable to work due to exhaustion and really need a solution.
Her normal routine is:
7:30 awake for day
1:45-3 ltn
7 sleep
I'm currently testing the under tired theory so shortening her nap (we are on day 2 of consistently doing this) However I think part of the problem is that she's very strong willed and wants me and will scream to get me and I don't know how to deal with this in a house full of people! She shares a room with her twin sister and my 4.5 year old is in the next door room.

UnplainJane Tue 12-Jan-16 17:52:15

If she is waking from nap at 3 she probably isn't tired enough for bedtime at 7pm?

chocolatedrops31 Tue 12-Jan-16 18:03:04

I don't think that's an issue. On Sunday she slept in the morning for an hour but still resisted bed at 7. When we were properly on that routine (before the sleep problems occurred), she'd happily go to bed at 7 and chat until she fell asleep

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now