Talk

Advanced search

Noisy baby & I'm a light sleeper, any tips for a good nights sleep?

(10 Posts)
Firstmum24 Tue 12-Jan-16 12:45:23

Hello,
I have been up all night yet again with my LO and have decided that it was time to reach out and ask for advice/tips from you mummies.
DD is 11weeks and a very noisy sleeper. She grunts and squeaks and snores until dawn and this coupled with the fact that i am a very light sleeper means i am getting next to no sleep.
Her noises are constant although she has had one cold so far and that made it ten times worse as she was all congested the poor soul. I bought a Calpol vaporiser which really seemed to help her congestion while she had the cold.

I already have the crib (Chicco next2me) at a slight incline.
She burps and toots a lot so i don't think it is wind - plus she gets burped for hours on end - she loves sitting on my knee getting a back rub!
She naps brilliantly through the day (again noisily!) and goes down day and night with no fussing.

I am getting desperate and am considering moving her into her own room. The last two nights i have spent in the spare bedroom (where i can still hear her, just a lot quieter) with the doors open and get up if i hear her stirring. She has a feed about 12am, 4am and again at 6ish so i get up and feed and wind for about 40 minutes at these points no problem. (she is FF). Before moving into the spare bedroom I was topping and tailing with my husband in a bid to catch some Zzz's. Hubbie works late nights at the weekend so on these nights i sleep(if you can call it that) in the room with her because I like to know someone is next to her.

I guess I am asking from your experiences if moving her into her own room this young (11weeks) is a possibility? I am a first time mum and generally confident with her. but I am getting to the point where I'm shaking through the day from fatigue and my appetite is starting to go.
Any advice warmly welcome!

Cait

grace11 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:21:56

Sounds like nights are pretty straight forward (apart from you not sleeping!) so if it was me I would move her into her own room - BUT obviously that's against the official guidelines but a lot of people do...depends whether you feel ok with that. I moved my dd1 when she was 4 months and we all got better sleep. My dd2 does the same thing - grunting, shifting, neighing sounds! I've had to put one earplug in and shift myself as far away from her as possible to have any hope of sleep from 4am. She wakes every two hours to feed as she's 6 weeks and bf so no way for me to move out of the bedroom for a good while. Good luck! x

TheCatsMeow Wed 13-Jan-16 11:23:33

I also would put her in her own room but lots of people wouldn't do that

LBOCS2 Wed 13-Jan-16 11:25:18

I had this problem with DD1. I'm pregnant with DD2 and this time around she's moving into her room much earlier - we've bought an angelcare monitor and that should give us some peace of mind. DD1 also slept much better once she was in her own room!

NerrSnerr Wed 13-Jan-16 11:29:59

I would have a good look at the lullaby trust website https://www.lullabytrust.org.uk/safer-sleep so you can make an informed choice on whether you should put her in her own room.

ateapotandacake Wed 13-Jan-16 11:33:47

I put my son in the spare room at nine weeks for similar reasons. We haven't bought an angelcare thing and we don't leave the door open (cat would try and bed share with him otherwise!). He's now nearly 17 weeks and our sleep is better which means we can parent better! It is contrary to the cot death guidelines but (I'm a midwife) I had a really good delve into them and the 'same room as mother' one is really based on theoretical ideas, there's no solid evidence. Some people say they hear your breathing, others say you can respond faster. Either way I knew sharing a room wouldn't work for us, so we don't.

Firstmum24 Thu 14-Jan-16 11:40:31

Thank you all for advice, its good to know i don't have the only thunderous baby!! It is so strange because she doesn't make half as much noise through the day...
I will hold off for another little while and see if the noises will naturally reduce as she gets bigger and more in control of her wee body.
I will look into the angelcare monitor too, my friend has one and she thinks its great.
ateapotandcake i agree that sleeping better allows you to parent better (especially in my case) I truly am in awe of super mums out there who seem to have unlimited amounts of patience on an hours sleep a night..!!
Thank you all again.

sophiaslullaby Thu 14-Jan-16 15:25:18

My DS is just over 9weeks and in own room for this exact reason. We have a video monitor which i put next to me on low (phasing myself out - next week I'll put it on silent as I can hear him when he cries from the other room!).
My reasonings are exactly the same as ateapotandacake. Have to make your own well informed decision and be comfortable with it but it's working for us and I'm a lot more rested and able to parent better. Saying that first couple of nights the monitor woke me up 'screaming' that the temperature was 14'c! I ran into DS room thinking 'shit I've frozen him!' He was perfectly fine! Infact in a better area of the house when he was in with us and under a drafty window!!

mouldycheesefan Thu 14-Jan-16 15:27:40

Ear plugs. You will still hear her if she cries! I had twins both very noisy sleepers I used ear plugs even in hospital. Don't move to own room due to increased risk of cot death.

mouldycheesefan Thu 14-Jan-16 15:31:06

Angelcare monitors alert you if baby stops breathing but do not replace the parental breathing rhythms which are thought to be the reasons why there is a lower rate of cot death amongst those sleeping in parents rooms. I did use the monitors but still kept babies in my room and I also had training on what to do if they stopped breathing.
Do you know how to revive a baby that has stopped breathing? I do think everyone should be given that training really. The monitor does not recussittate the baby,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now