Talk

Advanced search

Putting a toddler to bed with a newborn...how?!?!

(11 Posts)
Queazy Sat 09-Jan-16 18:47:48

That's it really. I have a 2yo and a 2wk old. My 2yo is very slow at getting to bed - lots of stalling and wants me to sit with her by her bed. How do you all make bedtime with two work? Bearing in mind that my newborn has no bedtime at all, tho trusting that'll come in a few weeks/couple of months.

Thanks so much xx

Artandco Sat 09-Jan-16 18:52:36

Baby in sling fed. Sort eldest out whilst Baby is in sling sleeping/ feeding

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 09-Jan-16 18:52:44

Basically cart the newborn about with you. Have a safe place to put newborn in the bedroom and the bathroom/hall.

I have a newborn, one year old and a just three year old. I put the newborn in a bouncy seat in hall outside bathroom (make sure she is fed/changed first - feed whilst other 2 eat tea). Put 1 year old in bath. Get her ready and then put her in cot. Speak to her from bathroom whilst I bath three year old.

Get him ready and then gather everyone on 1 year old' room for story. Newborn goes on bean bag with belt contraption for that so other 2 can have cuddle time on chair.

Make sure you have pyjamas/bottles/nappies rtf all laid out.

Run bath whilst older 2 eat tea so it's straight up
stairs and into bath

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 09-Jan-16 18:53:06

Ps - once older 2 are bathed and in bed, bath newborn!

Queazy Sat 09-Jan-16 18:58:11

Thank you SO much - my question prob sounded so basic but I honestly didn't have a clue. My newborn has reflux and it seems bad in early evening and morning, so he screams. I need to try the sling and pray it encourages a nap smile

Queazy Sat 09-Jan-16 18:59:48

p.s. Gobbolino, you're amazing by the way. That sounds hectic but you make it sound easy smile

Gotosleep123 Sat 09-Jan-16 19:38:01

That was me 8 months ago! My then 23 month old was just horrendous at going to bed, would take until 9 at least every night and would never nap so was extremely tired. Newborn with reflux and a proper colicky screamer to boot. He was carted around as someone else said. Sling or bouncy chair. Gate across toddlers bedroom door for safety when I had to leave her.

The biggest thing though was just stopping getting too fixated on getting my toddler to bed early. And I may have used way too many episodes of bing on the ipad, reasoning it's just a temporary crutch to get us through.

I'm sure you are doing brilliantly - it will suddenly just get a lot easier. I now have a very efficient routine in place!

EMS23 Sat 09-Jan-16 19:43:19

I was rubbish at it 3 years ago when I had a newborn and a 22 month old who stopped self settling just as the baby arrived!
I found it very stressful and regularly enlisted help from neighbours to hold the baby if my DH wasn't there.

I don't have any tips to make it easier beyond what others have suggested but just wanted to say that it is really hard so don't feel bad for finding it hard!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 09-Jan-16 19:57:28

queazy - not amazing at all (but thank you!) so if I can do it, you definitely can!!

Bouncy chair good as you can bounce it with a foot whilst reading or out the vibration action on!

Sling is good but I like to be able to cuddle the other two so they don't feel short changed during the story and if I have the sling on, can't do that. Plus I find getting them out of the bath quite hard with sling on.

Binkybix Sat 09-Jan-16 19:59:24

No idea. Looking for tips for my now not quite newborn and toddler. Toddler is lightest sleeper ever and baby doesn't drop off apart from in sling. But then I can't sleep!

Queazy Sun 10-Jan-16 14:18:56

Binkybix - same here! Bedtime was hard enough before blush I feel better in a way knowing that there is no silver bullet and we just need to find our way. I'd love to find my way to a nice sleep and a peaceful evening though... wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now