Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

sleep consultants - do they work?

(10 Posts)
Lovemybubble15 Fri 08-Jan-16 12:14:05

Am at wits end - my lo sleep is getting worse by the day (5months) and I can't take another sleepless night. I'm actually losing my mind.

Has anyone used a sleep consultant ? Do they work?

UnplainJane Fri 08-Jan-16 13:12:26

I think generally sleep consultants advise controlled crying, which is pretty easy to find the method on the internet. I think the main advantage of a sleep consultant is the extra support offered during sleep training - it's hard to give up when you know you are paying someone for help and need to report back with results!

If you think you can do it alone then save yourself the money. Also, I think your LO is a bit too young for sleep training so for now maybe try to eliminate reasons for waking? E.g teething/hunger/undertired/overtired/developmental/room temperature...... Could be a number of things! Hang in there flowers

LovelyWeatherForDucks Fri 08-Jan-16 15:49:10

Sleep consultants usually won't do anything before 6 months. We used one at 8 months mainly because we were too tired to think straight and needed someone to tell us what to do, and the motivation to stick to it! That said, it did improve DSs sleep but didn't 'fix' him forever - had lots of 'relapses' and even now at 3.5 we still have sleep issues!

Lovemybubble15 Fri 08-Jan-16 16:22:33

Thanks both - think will save myself the money. Am hoping just a faze and he will settle down.

Feels like a life time tho when you are tired doesn't it!

PebbleTTC Sun 10-Jan-16 08:50:10

We have booked a sleep consultant for the 26th (earliest available appointment) they start at 4 months. It's expensive but I'm hoping it works as I'm so tired.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 10-Jan-16 09:12:43

I have used a sleep consultant twice. It was the best money I have ever spent!! I have read every book ever written but having a personalised approach and support plus the fact that you have someone checking on your progress and advising how to change your approach was invaluable. Also, the wits end stage of paying for it means that I was motivated to do as we were being advised. Neither consultant advised controlled crying. 5 months is a little young, we started at 9, I think but a consultant might be able to advise some small changes to get you some more rest.

Alternatively, talk us through your baby's day, soothing methods, wind down routines, demeanour and any other issues going on and perhaps we can help...

Lovemybubble15 Sun 10-Jan-16 10:52:02

I have to hold my hands up I don't have any routine for lo. Until recently he was bf but recently I've switched to ff as was snacking on boob all day- he would feed for about 6 mins and then on and off. The ff isn't going as I thought as he wont take more than 5/6 ounces at a time. And when he tries to feed I'm wracked with guilt for stopping him and giving him formula.

Apologies - waffling off the subject.
Typical day up about 8-9, then I've been trying to get to nap every two hours after waking. Naps on me, chair or in car seat. I have been trying to put in cot but half hour seems to be his max then be wakes.
Nighttime he has a bath then bottle and he's spark out but for about 30/45 mins, then he wakes every 2 hours or so. His bedtime varies. He's never slept more than 4 hours and once he's woke from the initial sleep Its a fight to get him back into his co crib. So recently I have been putting him next to me on the bed as I am getting no sleep. He needs to be touching all the time tho.

It's very inconsistent I know - maybe that's my problem?

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 10-Jan-16 16:29:48

Well... You have a number of options!!

1:,Go with it, don't get stressed and make sure you sleep when he sleeps!!! Dont pressure yourself to get things done, do those when he is awake with him in a sling or in a baby seat. Be an attached partnership and relax!

2: Make small changes: Try to remove the link between feeding and sleeping so swap bath and bottle around at bed time and try to put him down in his cot during the day, even if it means you sitting beside his cot with your hand on him while he sleeps. If it's only 30 minutes, that's OK, get him back into his cot 1.5 hours after he wakes.

Whatever you try, stick with it for three days minimum and write down what happens so you can see improvements / patterns.

If bath and bed is somewhere around 7/8 and he wakes after 30 minutes, get him up, pop him in a sling while you do your stuff and put him back to bed at 10 after another feed, then go to bed yourself.

3: Find a routine you think might work and attempt to implement it, EASY: Eat, activity, sleep, you. The baby whisperer, and attempt to stick to 3 hourly cycles.

Things will change with the introduction of food which is not far off but don't expect miracles, some babies need more help than others.

Lovemybubble15 Sun 10-Jan-16 20:09:31

Thanks anotherday for all the ideas. I find myself posting constantly these days as I am starting to feel like I haven't a clue why I'm doing right or wrong.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 10-Jan-16 21:27:28

None of us do!!!

Mine are just older and in a different stage.

My eldest was a shocker sleep wise, my middle child was an angel and I was convinced I was indeed the perfect parent. I was ready to write my own book!!!

Then number 3 arrived and put me in my place!! He is 6 and sleeps now and for that I am eternally grateful!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now