Talk

Advanced search

Worried about 21mo never slept through

(4 Posts)
UnplainJane Thu 07-Jan-16 14:30:05

When I say never, I mean regularly. He has probably slept through twice and done around 7hrs about 5/6 times.

He is teething his last molars, which I think is bothering him at the moment but he has always woken a minimum of 3 times, at the moment it is 4 - 5 times a night. He self settles alone at bedtime and in the night when he wakes I just go in, tuck him in and walk out and he drops back off by himself so I know it isn't a self settling issue. He naps in his cot for 2hrs a day, is asleep around 7.30pm and gets up between 6.30 and 7am. I'm starting to worry that there might be something medically/psychologically wrong with him. I do hear him shout out and talk in his sleep, which I obviously don't respond to. I know when he is properly awake as will shout me very loudly over and over until I go in. He is very advanced with language for his age and was walking by 10mo. Should I speak to someone about his disturbed nights or just hope he gets better with age? No one I ever talk to has a toddler this restless at night, I feel very lonely!..... And tired!

Jenny70 Thu 07-Jan-16 14:46:14

Mine never slept through before 2 (prob 2.5yr), but now at 8, 10 and 12 yrs they are best sleepers, easy peasy to put to bed, early wakers but read quietly etc.

So it's hard I know, but I couldn't face cc with toddler and new baby on way... they will sleep through... eventually. Teenagers won't be waking for tucking in (you'll be strufgling to get them out of bed).

If you can do the lack of good sleep, then hang in there... if you can't take it then you have to be tough to change it. Work out why he's waking and see what you canchange about it.

UnplainJane Thu 07-Jan-16 17:11:20

Thanks for reply, it really helps me hearing from someone who has been there. I can deal with the broken nights knowing if might get better soon. I just worry there is something underlying causing it. I couldn't just leave him and CC wouldn't work anyway as I only need to check him once and he goes back to sleep - doesn't continue shouting for me so I guess in our case it would be a case of once put go bed ignore until morning, which would be pretty cruel!

Serendipitystardust1 Thu 07-Jan-16 17:19:06

My DS was about 2.5 before he slept through also. There was never any real reason for his night wakings and usually a quick cuddle and tuck in and he'd go back off quickly enough but the interrupted sleep and the up and downs 2 or 3 times a night really took their toll, and like you (although at times I was tempted) I couldn't not attend to him. A year on and for the most part he sleeps beautifully, occasionally he wakes but pretty irregularly. I have no idea why he suddenly started sleeping through but there is light at the end of the tunnel and although you won't believe this now there will be times when you wish he'd wake up 'cos you miss the nighttime cuddles smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now