Talk

Advanced search

talk to me about bedtime for 2 year olds

(3 Posts)
Spotsondots Sun 03-Jan-16 18:23:30

Long post, sorry in advance.

28mo DS has become a complete nightmare at bedtime. Previously would have wind down time after tea with a small amount of TV, quiet(ish - he is a toddler!) play followed by bath, stories and then cuddles before sleep. He has been in a bed since easter without any issues. He normally goes to bed around 7-7.30pm.

Since Christmas a switch has flicked and he is now a different child. Doesn't sit still long enough for a book, climbing all round his bedroom, running out the door etc. We either just leave after tucking him up and bidding him goodnight or sometimes he occasionally settles and has a book. Once in bed he gets out repeatedly. We have installed a stair gate across his door to prevent repeated escapes as he wasn't responding to being put back a la super nanny. Now he just stands at the gate and rages. The past few nights we have gone back to try to settle him a couple of times but we have realised he is playing us as he laughs and is all smiles as soon as we go up (despite sounding like he is going to die seconds before). I am not really a cry it out/leaving to cry person so I am finding this really hard and like I am totally failing. Nothing is working.

Not sure what else to try. He is also suddenly nap refusing having previously had a good 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon. So he is overtired but refuses to sleep. Any suggestions very welcome. We put him to bed at 6pm tonight because he is an overtired mess. He is currently screeching at the stairgate. DH has just been in to try to settle him but he just laughs in his face and gets out of bed.

Dinobab Sun 03-Jan-16 18:27:11

I sit on the end of his bed and totally ignore,no eye contact etc after a few "go to bed" attempts, after about 10minutes at most he gets into bed and lays down/goes to sleep.
The first night of this did take an hour though, its only been a week but seems to be working.
Before that he was a nightmare escaping out of bed/ climbing over the stairgate and refusing to sleep until 1am

Spotsondots Sun 03-Jan-16 19:01:05

Thanks for the reply. Just tried a bit of your tactic. He started climbing all over me, pinching, pulling hair, hitting. I can't sit through that and ignore it, a) because it's unacceptable behaviour that he needs calling up on and b) because he's bloody strong and it hurts! I'm going out. DH is in the study. He will just have to keep screaming...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now