Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Naps totally confused

(4 Posts)
spudnik1 Tue 29-Dec-15 16:02:04

My lo hates going to sleep, so I was putting him in the sling in the morning and he would nap for at least an hour. Then as i like being out and about i would do two pram walks a day one in the morning and one at night. The pram always sends him to sleep and he stays asleep when we get back from our walks.

At night he would go to sleep at 7pm waking for food at 11, 2.30, and up for the day at 5.30am.

Now the past few days we haven't been out with Christmas and the bad weather, and i am trying not to use the sling (my back is killing me at the moment) so when he is tired ( manages 1 to 1.5 hrs before crankiness descends) i have been putting him to sleep in his cot, and he naps for 20 minutes before being wide awake and wanting to play again.

After a day of cot napping, at night he sleeps from 7pm till 2.30am then up for day at 5.30am, so he skips a feed.

The problem is when he pram sleeps he does 17 hours of sleep per 24hr, whereas cot sleeps he just does 12 hours per 24 hr.

He feeds every 2hours when awake, but it is snaking 60ml here 60ml there, whereas with the big sleeps he'll have 150ml at once. His total feed intake is the same for both.

So my questions are what should he be doing ? i think he should be sleeping for longer than 12 hours a day he is only 12 weeks, but if he was tired wouldn't he sleep longer at night, or during his naps ? is he waking up because he is cold? i swaddle him for naps because he can startle himself awake. How do i get him to have the lovely 7 hour sleep session at night but not deprive him of sleep during the day?

offside Tue 29-Dec-15 19:49:59

My DD was the same. She could sleep for a couple of hours in the pram or in the car, but when we first put her in the cot she would only do 20/25 mins. We decided that we would only let her nap in the cot which meant days where we didn't leave the house for more than an hour or so at a time to avoid her going to sleep in the car or the pram.

It gradually improved to 30 mins, then 45 mins and for the past 5ish months (she's 16 months old) she's been doing from 1.5-2 hours in the cot. Some days we have to wake her up.

FATEdestiny Tue 29-Dec-15 21:53:13

Try a bouncy chair for daytime sleeping in the house.

spudnik1 Wed 30-Dec-15 08:01:15

ok looks like i'll just have to persevere with the cot hopefully he will start to sleep longer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now