Talk

Advanced search

Toddler/baby no-sleep conspiracy is driving me up the wall!

(6 Posts)
SouthernComforter Thu 24-Dec-15 08:29:32

My 6wk-old often doesn't settle for the night until between 11 and midnight. Then I leave him with husband and head to the spare room until whatever time he wakes for a feed, usually between 3 and 4am. Then husband goes to spare room and I wind and settle baby (usually takes an hour). Since baby arrived our toddler's sleep (among other things) has become a challenge. He's now getting up between 5 and 5.30. Last night the baby was up from 2-3 farting out wind. I have a little snivel every morning when I realise what time our day is starting. Toddler has shadows under his eyes and is whingey with tiredness. I think my right eye might stop working soon and feel more bah humbug than full of festive spirit. What can we do? I'm thinking of taking away toddler gro-clock. His bedtime is already late enough (should be 7.30 but is often later as he gets up a few times once we've said goodnight).

PotteringAlong Thu 24-Dec-15 08:31:10

Daft as it sounds, have you tried making the toddlers bedtime earlier? If they're overtired they may be sleeping less well? Put them to bed for 7 and see what happens?

SouthernComforter Thu 24-Dec-15 08:44:24

Thanks Pottering. Will try anything! And he won't know, since it's dark anyway.

We also think the early morning recycling/bottle collection from the pub at the end of the road might be waking him up but not sure what we can do about it?

UnplainJane Thu 24-Dec-15 08:46:44

I agree with trying an earlier bedtime. My 20mo wakes up a few times during the night, he is teething second molars so that isn't helping. Anyway, I had been putting him to bed around 7.30 and he wasn't dropping off until 8ish then waking g 3 - 4 hrs later. Last night DH went out so I did bedtime alone for both my boys, ended up super efficient and had the toddler in bed by 7pm, he was asleep by 7.15 and I didn't hear a peep until 2am! Longest stretch we have had out of him for a few months.......

UnplainJane Thu 24-Dec-15 08:47:56

Quiet music playing in his bedroom all night to mask outside noise?

MagicAlwaysLeadsToTrouble Thu 24-Dec-15 08:47:58

Yes I agree with an earlier bedtime for your toddler

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now