Talk

Advanced search

Baby on side

(9 Posts)
Cupcakesandlove Thu 24-Dec-15 04:41:27

Hi there-
So my DD is just over a month old and I'm wondering does anyone else let their child sleep on the side? My Dd could sleep all day on my chest but I out her in her Moses basket on her back the covers come off her legs are getting thrashed about I hear moaning and farting she's generally not settled

amyboo Thu 24-Dec-15 05:48:06

My first slept much better on his side and we put him on his side from about 3 months old. DS2 was premature and had awful reflux so we used to put him down on his tummy - they did it in the NICU so I figured it was OK (although I made the mistake of telling the family doctor who gave me a huge guilt trip!). He still sleeps on his tummy now at nearly 3. DD1 is 11 weeks old and is another tummy sleeper... I was insanely worried when I first started putting her on her tummy but she also has reflux and is a lot more comfy on her tummy. If I put her on her back she wiggles constantly and wakes up after about 10 minutes

Tomboyinatutu Thu 24-Dec-15 05:56:50

When my youngest son was in hospital (from 3 weeks) the nurses would put him on his side and swap the side he was on now and then. Since then he preferred to sleep that way so I continued to do this when we got home. I see no harm in it, just make sure you turn your DD over if she can't do it herself

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 24-Dec-15 06:00:44

Tummy sleeper here too! My ds sleeps on his tummy, but no doctor or HV will advise it. You need t read about it online and weigh up the risk/ benefit - at least then you're making an informed choice. If baby kicks blankets off, why not try using no blankets and dressing her warmer for bed (there is info about this online as well)

winchester1 Thu 24-Dec-15 06:01:13

My first just naturally rolled onto his side from.birth (couldn't stay on his back as he was still foetal position for a while) and we were told it was fine to leave him like that so did.

SouthernComforter Thu 24-Dec-15 06:02:11

When DS2 (6weeks old) is in bed with me I sometimes put him on his side. He's currently thrashing and farting but seems better on his side. I was wondering whether to put him on his front last night as he sleeps on me like that (knees drawn up = better for wind?) so I might give it a go in the bed. I did away with the Moses basket so he's in a sleepyhead now - I wouldn't put him on his front in that.

SouthernComforter Thu 24-Dec-15 06:04:24

Ps think DS2 also has reflux but I've opted not to go for baby gaviscon as doc says he'll grow out of it and gaviscob isn't very good for them.

Cupcakesandlove Thu 24-Dec-15 08:56:33

Hi - yeah I think she has reflux too but I also am opting not to have this confirmed... She has a whole host of issues currently!
It's not the fact that the no covers worry me - I can tell she isn't cold so I'm fine about it, it's the fact she is clearly not comfortable on her back.... Are you able to use the sleepyhead for bedtime now? I read that it didn't have the right testing has this since changed?

SouthernComforter Thu 24-Dec-15 09:18:23

Oh, I haven't read about it not being tested. My DS just would not sleep in the basket and a friend lent us her sleepyhead because it worked for them. It works for us too. To be honest I'll probably just carry on with it as he's a big, healthy boy with no breathing probs. But I wouldn't use it for front sleeping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now