Talk

Advanced search

6 month old sleep!

(8 Posts)
Jackapoojelly Tue 22-Dec-15 23:55:31

Hello!
I've got a 6month old who has a good bed time routine. Quiet time, bath, dressed, fed and then bed. She goes to sleep well and recently have been able to put her down drowsy so she falls asleep by herself.

She's not grasped how to sleep thorough
the night though! Last night I was up 5 times the night before it was twice. She has no pattern that I can see.

I feed her and she'll usually fall back asleep relatively easily. I'll only change her if she's not going back to sleep quickly.

She is bottle fed during the day and alternate between breast and bottle at night.
I've read about CC, PUPD, no cry methods and tried them all apart from CC.

The thing is, is that she falls asleep fine, it's just the waking in the night that's making me so exhausted. I don't know whether she's just too young to sleep through or I should be doing other methods?

She's always hungry when waking and if I don't feed she'll wake up again an hour later.

Any advice would be great.
Thank you! smile

Ughnotagain Wed 23-Dec-15 00:07:28

I started a thread yesterday about my 6 (nearly 7) month old suddenly waking more in the night. General consensus was that it's not just me (thankfully!).

I have no real advice as I'm very much of the "pick up whimpering baby and put her on the boob til she sleeps" school of thought, but you're not alone.

What time does she go to bed?

Jackapoojelly Wed 23-Dec-15 06:21:29

I shall check it out. Thank you. I too pick up when whimpering and feed till back asleep. We're never up for long but the times up seem to have increased!

We start bedtime routine about 5:30 ish and she's usually asleep by 6:30. We have tried later but she gets cranky!

Jw35 Wed 23-Dec-15 07:34:22

Sounds normal to me! Sorry. Could also be a cold/teething and any number of things. Combined feeding might be confusing at night too x

DangerMouth Wed 23-Dec-15 11:44:44

I stopped feeding dd1 at night around 6 months. I made sure she was getting enough milk during the day (which as your bottle feeding should be doable). When she woke l would go in and cuddle her (sometimes until she fell asleep ). But I think she was ready for it as it worked quite quickly.

Does she have a dummy or suck her thumb?

FATEdestiny Wed 23-Dec-15 15:42:37

Why not try a dummy?

Also ensure enough daytime sleep. This helps night time sleep be aide good sleep habits encourage better sleeping.

At 6 months I'd be wanting about 4-5 hours of daytime sleep over three naps, then 11-12 hours of sleep at night.

BumWad Thu 24-Dec-15 05:33:25

My just 7 month old has started waking at multiple times in the night too since the last week or so. Sometimes he's up for over two hours, he can't seem to fall back to sleep except he manages perfectly well when going to bed. I don't understand, it's bloody knackering!

Jackapoojelly Fri 25-Dec-15 00:09:57

Thanks for all your advice smile. I've tried a dummy but she just won't take one.

Nap times she has 2-3 a day but often they don't last longer thank 30mins! I've tried everything but unless we're on a long car journey or she's asleep on me they're not any longer. The past couple of nights she's only been up twice so I'm hoping she was teething or growth spurt.

I shall keep persevering.

Happy Christmas fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now