Talk

Advanced search

Is this a 6 week growth spurt?

(4 Posts)
minniebear Tue 22-Dec-15 14:25:39

DD2 will be 8 weeks tomorrow, and for the past 11 nights she has been struggling with sleep. Before then she was waking twice for a feed at midnight/1am and 3/4am, then going back to sleep. Now she's up at midnight, then 2,4,5 and 6. She's EBF and barely eats after midnight (only takes one side then slips into a sort of coma, despite me trying to wake her and keep her going). Twice within the past 11 nights of doom, she slept 7/8pm until 3am however, so a bloody good stretch, and I felt like a proper person. The thing I'm wondering is whether a growth spurt can last this long? Can I still blame all this on growing, or are the 1-2 hourly wakings from 12-7 going to carry on forever? And ever. And is it worth me writing down what times she eats/naps etc in a day to work out a pattern of some kind, or is that whole routine way of thinking just not how it works? 18 month DD1 sleeps really well, and in my mind always has done, but although I know she slept 10 hours by 10 weeks, I have no memory of what happened pre-10 weeks, so probably have on rose tinted glasses. Grief I'm knackered.

FATEdestiny Tue 22-Dec-15 15:12:39

If she's not feeding very much in those wake ups, I would try settling back to sleep with a dummy instead.

I always find making a deliberate effort to feed more frequently through the daytime helps reduce night time wake ups too.

My eldest two children are 14 months apart, I remember the blur of those first few years.

minniebear Tue 22-Dec-15 20:35:59

Thank you smile she doesn't take a dummy, just spits it out, but I'm so close to giving up breastfeeding-I can't have her sucking all bloody night. She's still at it bloody now.

Jackapoojelly Wed 23-Dec-15 06:45:42

My little one is 6 months old and is doing totally the same. Looking at your thread it's nice to known I'm not alone, though frustrating and tiring!

My baby doesn't use a dummy either and have always fed her when she wakes. A couple of times when she's fallen asleep I've woken her up by changing her and then feeding her more, but still an hour later she's been awake!

I'be noted down some days of sleep, naps etc. But no pattern seems to be happening. She's just finished a leap. So like you say maybe it's a growth spurt?

Whoever wrote the manual for babies needs to share! Lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now