Talk

Advanced search

9 month old sleep problems

(5 Posts)
Sio1 Thu 17-Dec-15 09:31:42

Hi all,

My son will be 9 months on Christmas day and am looking for advice on sleep training him. He has never been a great sleeper and am now at my wits end. I have started the pick up/put down method. Tried controlled crying for two days which seemed to work for naps for a couple of days and then he was getting himself into such a state I gave up. I found it too hard and hated seeing him so upset.

He eventually goes to sleep in his cot with the pu/pd method for naps. At night time he sleeps for maybe 1-2 hours and then he is up every hour sometimes 4/5 times in a hour. I pick him up and comfort him and them put him back down. This goes on all night. I gave up last night at 4.30am and just took him into bed when he slept fine.

Has anyone any advice/ideas as to why he is waking so often. A lot of the time he has his eyes closed and its like he is crying in his sleep but if I leave him it turns into full on screaming.

Help please!

Thank you

Lacey2015 Thu 17-Dec-15 13:25:51

I understand how difficult this is. My dd is 8 months and I couldn't handle CC during the nap times but did at nighttime as I needed my sleep. I used the 2/4/8/16/32(hope it doesn't go on that long) minute rule. So after 2 mins of crying I'd go in shush and pat to console her then walk out. Then carry on until she was consoled. I find now that if she wakes early and I go in she's excited to see me so will not try to sleep again. Therefore it's horrid but I find that leaving her she whines a little and then stops crying. Just be consistent and you will get there!!! What's his routine like? I find an early bedtime really helps so she has time to settle herself.

Sio1 Fri 18-Dec-15 19:40:58

Thanks. He has dinner about 5/5.30 and then a bath around 6/6.30. He normally goes to bed about 7/7/30 sometimes earlier. He starts nursery on 5th January so I am stressed about that to and want him to sleep properly before he starts. Fingers crossed it gets better

Lacey2015 Sat 19-Dec-15 09:45:41

That's similar to our routine but she sleeps 630-530/6 so not a great wake up Time. Does he have daytime naps too? I just keep thinking all these things won't go on forever. Then all this worrying and I will miss the lovely things!!! xx

Headmelt Sat 19-Dec-15 09:57:05

Could you try feeding her earlier? Is she teething/going through a wonder week?Our dc wakes with terrible wind and several night feeds. Last night was the first time I didn't need to get up. She whimpered at about 3.20am briefly for about 5 minutes and settled when I didn't go in. I think I got about 9 hours (around the brief call out) between feeds. It is really hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now