Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me it gets better??

(14 Posts)
Purpleboa Thu 17-Dec-15 05:59:32

Most of you will know me as a regular to this board! DD almost 6 months and a consistently poor nightcsleeper. We've had some good nights but mostly multiple wakings (she's ebf).

I was learning to cope with the wakings, as long as she settled after. But the past month has been particularly bad. She wakes...and often doesn't go back to sleep for ages. Quite a few nights I've just been taking her into bed so she can sleep on me. Which as we know, means no sleep for mummy!

She's also decided that 5.30 is her new waking time. No matter how bad the night. So I'm really worried about how little sleep she is getting.

Is this a regression? Will it get better? I really don't want to sleep train but I think I'm going to have to! Will wait till she is 6 months, maybe 7. I'm hoping this is just a phase and things will improve. Will they?? Or have I created this situation through breastfeeding and feeding ti sleep? I no longer know what is best. I don't have a clue what I should be doing and am too tired to come up with a strategy!

Purpleboa Thu 17-Dec-15 06:01:44

Oh and she won't take a bottle. Or a dummy. Planning to do baby led weaning when she's 6 months.

tiredybear Thu 17-Dec-15 13:47:13

Sounds like my DS! He's nearly 9 months now but still not a great sleeper.

Yes it is a phase, but the next phase will probably not be the magic sleeping through just yet...but it will happen one day. (so I've been told! :-) )

I think if you have a consistent routine but baby is still waking, that's just how they are, particularly for ebf babies like ours. I did resort to bed sharing far more regularly as DS would sleep much better and I could at least get some sleep. Other times I've tried the shush/pat technique of sleep training and now, even though he still wakes often, I don't always have to feed him and he goes back to sleep fairly quickly.

DS also used to love 4/5am as a wake up but at around the 6 month mark I persevered with soothing back to sleep and now he wakes some time between 6-7am, which is so much nicer!

People have suggested to me to offer water instead of feeds to help with night weaning, but your DD is probably still too young for this (and my DS goes absolutely mental if I dare offer water at night!)

good luck x

Touchacat Thu 17-Dec-15 14:33:20

Hi Purple, I have seen your name pop up on these threads a bit and I have always felt so sorry for you! Sounds really difficult. My dd is nearly six months too but we don't have the same issues (sorry) so not sure what help I can offer and I have a feeling you've tried it all anyway.

What are the daytime naps like? Could she be doing all her catching up during the day?

This might be a completely bonkers suggestion but babies always tend to be shattered after swimming. Could you take your dd for a lateish swim? Or, if an earlier one she might have a really good nap afterwards and you know that whole thing about sleep begets sleep - she might sleep better in the night? If you find it working and could go regularly then it could help reset her sleeping clock. Not sure if that's a recommended technique though! My dd had a better night last night after swimming, plus a 2-hour afternoon nap! A record!

Good luck with it, I'm sure things will start to improve soon x

HelenF35 Thu 17-Dec-15 22:15:22

Purple we are still having sleep problems too. 2 hourly wake ups on a good night! He is 5.5 months so you are not alone. Has your wee one got teeth yet? My son got his first 3 weeks ago and the second is on the way. I don't think that is helping. He's also taken to biting me shock. Need winewinewinecakecakecakechocolatechocolatechocolate

CityDweller Thu 17-Dec-15 22:16:21

Yes, it will get better. Hard to say when, though, as every child is different. There is a 6-month sleep regression. DD's sleep got miles miles better at the 8.5 month mark, which coincided with her crawling and suddenly upping her solids intake. Hang in there.

Jemzy12345 Fri 18-Dec-15 15:27:27

When she wakes in night what do you do ? Do u go to a different room ? Lights on or low ? Change her ? What order do you do things in ? Wondering if something is keeping her up

Purpleboa Fri 18-Dec-15 17:38:43

Thanks all I appreciate it. I know it will get better...It's just that what I've been told from a few weeks in and am still struggling!

Daytime naps are limited, 2.5 hours on average so I don't think she's overdoing it with these.

Touchacat, swimming used to tire her out and she will nap after it. But no effect for the night time! Good point about late night swims, but our local pool doesn't do that.

Jemzy I am in the room with her. Don't turn any lights on - unless she has pooed then I turn on a dim light. I try and shush pat her first. Then pick her up. Then feed her - must admit I give in to that prob much sooner than I should! My arms and back ache and I just have no energy. So maybe I should persevere?

Jemzy12345 Fri 18-Dec-15 18:52:08

Nothing obvious, sounds like the environment is good for sleep. Is she on solids at all ?

Purpleboa Fri 18-Dec-15 19:18:25

No, I'm going to introduce solids next week. So maybe that will make a difference?

tentothesix Fri 18-Dec-15 19:27:06

purple I have namechamged since but we were on ante natal boards together and you have commented when I have posted about my sleep issues!

No advice just wanted to say that your experience sounds literally identical to mine. Nice to know we are not alone. Sometimes want to cry when I hear how well other children sleep even though I'm pleased for their parents.

I have tried sleep training but he's too young and not worked. Intend to try again in a few weeks.

Jemzy12345 Fri 18-Dec-15 19:30:12

I think so. Maybe she has just got to the point where she needs something a little extra. Let us know how you get on and if any improvement

UnplainJane Fri 18-Dec-15 19:40:55

Don't expect solids to make a difference to begin with - a but if pureed veg/fruit has much less calories and fat than milk so won't fill her up amy more. Also it can sometimes make them uncomfortable digestion-wise to start with and can cause a bit of constipation. We just gave DS2 pureed prunes every morning with brekkie which really helped.

boatrace30 Sat 19-Dec-15 09:14:42

My DD 29 weeks. We moved her into her own room at 25weeks which actually helped a lot. I think we were disturbing her more than we realised. Also started solids at 24. Doing mostly baby led with some spoon feeding (eg porridge in the morning). Sleep has massively improved in the last week. Gone from 3 wake ups to 1. As you are weaning at six months I'd ramp it up quickly to get to three meals a day and you'll see milk consumption drop rapidly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now