Talk

Advanced search

5am waking - I know so boring

(19 Posts)
HomeMeasurements Thu 17-Dec-15 05:41:30

DD is 15 months and always wakes at five if not before. I'd be totally fine with this as am an early bird but it is clear she is exhausted and needs more sleep.

She has a good bedtime routine, goes to sleep without help, a decent afternoon nap and I don't put her to bed overtired. Her room is dark, heating doesn't come on etc. she isn't cold, bed is comfortable and cosy. I haven't gotten into any bad habits like giving her a bottle in bed, bringing her in with us etc (she would never want to sleep in bed with us anyway).

I have tried earlier and later bedtimes. Yesterday she ended up having no nap and she's been awake 3,4 and 5 (I suspect she hadn't been back to sleep in between those and has just been lying there) so too much sleep in the day definitely isn't it.

She does plenty in the day and eats really really well.

Have tried leaving her to absolutely no success.

She has a few times slept til six but can see no pattern as to why.

So please help, any tips at all?

poocatcherchampion Thu 17-Dec-15 05:43:03

Is it the other way ans she is over tired?

Purpleboa Thu 17-Dec-15 05:47:18

Wish I knew! DD wakes at 5 too, despite a poor night's sleep and its driving me mad - I really need her to sleep later because I'm not sleeping sad

HomeMeasurements Thu 17-Dec-15 05:48:14

No catcher have tried earlier bedtimes and makes no difference. And sometimes she will have a longer sleep in the day and won't make a difference either.

HomeMeasurements Thu 17-Dec-15 05:48:38

flowers purple

HomeMeasurements Thu 17-Dec-15 05:49:24

Ps purple how many people have said to you 'just put them to bed an hour later and they'll wake an hour later'? RL people just don't get it!

Poppyclock Thu 17-Dec-15 05:53:35

Are you me? 6am is a lie on here. I'm resigned to early starts now because I'm too knackered to try anything else

Purpleboa Thu 17-Dec-15 06:06:55

Yup Home! I'm like, don't you think that I've already though of that...tried it...failed! I do everything I can to get her back to sleep! To no avail.

Right now she's on her jumperoo, bouncing about like crazy. I cannot understand where she gets her energy from!! I'm beginning to suspect she just doesn't need as much sleep as other babies, which is a fairly horrifying thought.

confusedandemployed Thu 17-Dec-15 06:11:46

My DD, who has always been a champion sleeper, did this for a bit when she was a bit younger - about 10months I suppose. I tried the wake to sleep method which I think did the trick - she grew out of it soon after I started it.

Now she's 2.10yo and sleeps 7-8ish if she can. It really does pass!

DesertOrDessert Thu 17-Dec-15 06:11:48

Shift your body clock, embrace early mornings and early nights, and ignore anyone who says "But its only 6,why is he going to bed".
Or, move out to somewhere, like the ME, where the school bus leaves at 7.10, so were all up early anyway, which makes DS1s early waking normal, while wpthe rest of us curse the alarm clock!!!

it will get better in several years when you can leave instructions not to wake Mummy before the sun is up, and leave toys out. It gets even better when they can open the Stargate at the weekend, and think a carton of apple juice, a cereal bar and a piece of fruit on the kitchen table is a treat

HomeMeasurements Thu 17-Dec-15 06:20:44

This isn't my first DC by the way! And I can confirm it does get better. But not much!!

Hoviscats Thu 17-Dec-15 06:47:56

If anyone finds the answer please tell me! 5yo DS here who has been awake since before 5am....yawn....

3.5 years of early wakings so far. I was told school would fix it as he would be so tired. Wrong!!!

hmm

icklekid Thu 17-Dec-15 06:54:07

My 17 month old ds is exactly the same tried earlier and later bed times. Having just gone through a week of 4am wake ups 5am is bearable...I'm also an early bird and dh leaves at 6.45 so not end of the world but hard pre a day teaching sometimes! He often has a nap 7/8am which is almost a top up sleep (it was earlier when he was younger!) I just go with it and hope it will get better. ..

ginagslovechild Thu 17-Dec-15 07:04:02

What time is her last nap? Maybe try adjusting it? If I put 18 month old down too early for a nap he's up at the crack if dawn next day.I put him down immediately after lunch about 12.30 and it seems to work better.

ginagslovechild Thu 17-Dec-15 07:04:46

P.s. He was still up at 6 this morning which is better than 5 but still kills me!

poocatcherchampion Thu 17-Dec-15 08:17:03

My real answer is that now with dc3 I have decided it is nor scientific and you just have to bide your time and then they will comply.

No help at all!!

Lacey2015 Thu 17-Dec-15 13:28:47

I wish I knew the answer too! My 8 month has been doing this for months now!!! 6am is definitely a lie in. I don't know how people get there's to sleep till 7am!!?

Ruskyrobins24 Thu 17-Dec-15 15:29:50

My daughter is the same. It's a total lie that all babies should and can sleep 12 hours- what I found was that my DD will do 10-11 hours, so if I put she down before 730 she will most likely be up at 530 or earlier. Figure out what her normal amount of sleep hours are then adjust her bed time gradually - but stick with it, might take about a week to work. Also I give porridge about 45 mins before bed too to be full up xx

Ruskyrobins24 Thu 17-Dec-15 15:30:22

Ps this only nudges her to 6-615 but it's so much better than 530!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now