Talk

Advanced search

Don't know how to soothe 3 month old at night

(6 Posts)
KatyBeau Mon 14-Dec-15 08:35:57

My baby is 3 months old and is still waking very regularly at night. I find at night, when I'm tired and not thinking as clearly, I find it really hard to know what to do with her when she cries. After a few hours' sleep I can assume that she's hungry, but often she won't settle afterwards unless I feed her to sleep. Even then, she's waking regularly the second half of the night. I suspect it's often that she's got trapped wind, or sometimes just wants a cuddle.

It seems that whether I try simply placing a hand on her chest, or massaging her tummy, pushing up her legs, or picking her up in various ways, nothing seems to soothe her or help her pass her wind. When I hold her anywhere near my chests she will always want to feed.

In the daytime I can calm her so much more easily, but at night I'm at a loss as to what to do. I usually end up bringing her into bed with me, which isn't bad per se, but I sleep worse and get back pain, and I'm continually feeding her to sleep.

I'd like to have a more consistent approach so that she learns what to expect, and would rather not have to always feed her to soothe her back to sleep.

Just wondering what other people do at night.

CarbeDiem Mon 14-Dec-15 10:05:53

I know it's somewhat frowned upon now but swaddling worked a treat for me.
All 3 of my ds's were comforted by it but I'd done it from birth so maybe your dd might not like it if you introduce it now. It might be worth a try though - thin cotton sheet, lay baby on top of it with arms by her side, wrap one side and tuck the sheet in then the other, Obviously not too tight, just snug.
My ds's would be out like lights either in my arms or laid down in their baskets.

KatyBeau Mon 14-Dec-15 21:33:02

Thanks. It's worth a try!

Queendedede Mon 14-Dec-15 21:37:31

At that age I was still walking around the room with mine if he had already fed but not wanting to sleep again yet - pacing around the room kept him quiet and relaxed until he dropped off again. I kept the room dark with just a night light on. From about 4/5 months if he didn't need feeding I would keep him in his cot and rhythmically pat his bottom (side sleeper) until he dropped off again - sometimes it would take 1hr + but at least he learned he wouldn't be picked up in the night.

jaggythistlez Tue 15-Dec-15 05:27:11

I just feed them if they need it. 3 months old is tiny really. smile

It won't be forever, they do figure out how to fall asleep without feeding.

WooLulu Sat 19-Dec-15 04:27:04

Mine is difficult to wind and settle too. He only wakes up once or twice (between 11.30ish and 6ish but it takes ages to dettle him both at the beginning of the night and in any wake ups. I tend to feed/wind/cuddle/lay on side/repeat. My husband puts him in his sleepyhead and bounces him gently (flat) on the birthing ball.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now