Talk

Advanced search

Rolling, waking and screaming

(11 Posts)
fluffikins Mon 14-Dec-15 07:32:02

DD has been sleeping in a sleepyhead and I've recently discovered she settles after night feeds pretty much immediately IF I lie her on her side. I was thrilled with this discovery as before I've been sitting with her asleep in my arms for 10-15 mins and then transferring her, which is exhausting.

Problem is, at some point afterwards she rolls onto her front, then wakes and screams and needs much more settling. She's doing this in the sleepyhead. I've tried without the sleepyhead and she just does it sooner.

She can roll both ways in the daytime but at night just seems to go up into a crawl position and scream.

Any ideas?

CurlsLDN Mon 14-Dec-15 07:41:34

Hello! I'm afraid this is a phase they all seem to go through. We didn't use a sleepyhead, but my ds reached a point where he would roll to his front then not be able to get back (perhaps it takes more coordination and effort, which Is difficult for them when sleepy?)
As I recall it lasted a couple of weeks, then he figured it out. Now he rolls all over the cot and sleeps where he likes!

poocatcherchampion Mon 14-Dec-15 07:48:16

10-15 mins isn't actually very long though to hold before settling is it? Babies are exhausting I give you that but that is not unreasonable.

I sometimes put my newborn on his side but it is not safe enough to be relaxing for me. Are they able to use a sleepyhead when they roll/to lie on tummy?

fluffikins Mon 14-Dec-15 08:55:04

The sleepyhead stops her rolling if I put her in on her back, but if I put her in on her side then she does roll in it. Maybe I should try and wean her off that all in one go and just dig my heels in for a few weeks of even worse sleep as she learns to sleep without the sleepyhead AND learns to roll back in her sleep?

10-15 mins isn't unreasonable, no, but when she's up every hour or 2 hrs that adds up to quite a lot and can mean I don't get more than 30 mins before she's up again. She's 6 months and has a sensor mat so feel reasonably confident with her side sleeping. As it is once it gets to 1/2am then I tend to give up and let her co-sleep (with no pillows/duvets etc) as she doesn't need any resettling when I do that, I just plonk her down next to me after a feed and she's out like a light! But I do want to have her in her own room eventually so feel like I need to be moving away from that.

fluffikins Mon 14-Dec-15 09:12:52

ah now I'm unsure. Maybe I should persist with the sleepyhead as she seems to hug the side of it. I guess she needs to learn with or without it anyway??

BifsWif Mon 14-Dec-15 09:34:54

Could you roll up a towel and put it in front/behind her but in the sleepyhead to stop her rolling onto her front?

fluffikins Mon 14-Dec-15 10:41:10

hmm maybe. I'm not sure I'd be a bit worried about it unravelling or something though.

I kind of hate the fact that most of my life is spent worrying about her sleep!

Purpleboa Mon 14-Dec-15 11:05:44

I'm with you fluff! We have a Sleepyhead too. Originally to stop her from rolling and waking. But this morning she fell asleep on her front on the bed, so maybe she needs to go cold turkey? Tbh, it's not like the Sleepyhead ever got us a great night's sleep! So we're thinking of getting cot bumpers and just going for it.

I hear ya on the sleep obsession! I feel like I could teach this subject, I've done that much research!

fluffikins Mon 14-Dec-15 12:05:55

I teach other things with far less research so I reckon you definitely could!

What do you mean cot bumpers? I've got an air wrap for the cot bed, which she keeps pulling down if I put her in during the day. As she's 6 months I guess we need to know if she can go without the sleepyhead before investing in the sleepyhead grand.

I fear I'm going to have a few weeks of horrible sleep right over xmas sad

Jw35 Mon 14-Dec-15 12:09:53

Try not too worry too much, my dd slept on her front from 3 weeks old.

poocatcherchampion Mon 14-Dec-15 12:12:34

Cot bumpers are not a fab idea - suggest you just go for it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now