Talk

Advanced search

15 month old still not sleeping through....help please?!

(2 Posts)
WineIsMyMainVice Sat 12-Dec-15 22:44:17

I'm going a bit out of my mind here!
DS still wakes up at least once for milk in the night. He usually has 7oz of formula then goes straight back to sleep. (Sometimes about midnight and then again at 4am, or otherwise just once at 2.30). Then he sleeps until about 6am. But it's nearly killing me - especially now I'm back at work.
I've tried watering down his bottles gradually, but every time I've started to do it he's got ill with some bug/cold/infection or wahtver and I've ended up going back to proper bottles again.
He's a really good eater. In fact he generally eats more than my 3 yo DD! So I don't think it's hunger, I think he just wants comfort/company in the night!
Surely he should be sleeping through by now shouldn't he?
Any ideas what I can do would be gratefully received!

FATEdestiny Sun 13-Dec-15 23:11:23

Yep, I agree. I think he just wants comfort/company at night. If it was me I'd go cold turkey on milk. Completely, fully and without exception (even when poorly).

There are some parents who feel a child should have access to a drink in the night if they want it. In which case offer water. But personally I wouldn't even offer that. Assuming he is eating and drinking plenty of fluids through the daytime, there is absolutely no need for him to be dehydrated in the night time.

What you do aside from night weaning is a personal choice. You could still offer comfort and company when he wakes, and ride through his rage at milk being refused to him. Or you could ask your partner to take on the night times and face the same rage. Or share night comforting duties. Or alternatively you might decide to go down the CC or CIO route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now