Talk

Advanced search

Rousing toddler before we go to bed to help her sleep through?

(6 Posts)
weeblueberry Fri 11-Dec-15 22:30:55

Our two and a half year old has started night waking and coming into our bed. We've let it slide but are all suffering from poor sleep now.

MIL said when DP and his brother did this she would pick them up and pop them on the loo before she went to bed herself. She said they didn't fully wake but they had a wee (which she assumed was what was waking them in the night) and stayed down all night. She swears by it and said it worked for them.

I'm sure I've read of similar where parents went in just before they went to bed themselves and 'gently' woke their toddler. Not enough for a full wake but enough to break their sleep cycle.

Has anyone tried this? And did it work?

wanderingwondering Fri 11-Dec-15 22:34:04

Yes, have tried this with some success in the past-definitely worth a try especially if you are potty training anyway

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 11-Dec-15 22:36:24

I did it for years between 11-midnight as my Ds was a bed-wetter otherwise. He really didn't wake up properly and was fast asleep again by the time I closed him room door.

weeblueberry Fri 11-Dec-15 22:36:31

We are. And the poor sleep pretty much coincided with the start of it. sad

weeblueberry Fri 11-Dec-15 22:37:07

dot did he sleep through?

dotdotdotmustdash Sat 12-Dec-15 17:29:04

Yes, he usually did sleep well for the rest of the night, occasionally he would wet the bed around 6am but we could usually identify that he had drunk more than normal the night before. If we didn't lift him when we went to bed he would be wet by 1am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now