Talk

Advanced search

Post-natal Insomnia

(15 Posts)
Woodchiponthewall Thu 10-Dec-15 06:02:52

I am shattered. Baby is now 8 months and as his sleep has improved, mine has got worse. Two nights in a row now where I have woken at 2 (before he wakes at say 3.30) and not gone back to sleep. I also had one night a few weeks ago where I did not sleep at all. I am not awake worrying about anything other than the fact that I can't sleep and will feel so rough with a little baby to care for the next day. Wondering whether to see the doctor today. I have read all the old threads and know how closely this is linked to PND but I don't feel down or as if I'm not coping, I just wish I could sleep! Anyone else had anything similar?

nutbrownhare15 Thu 10-Dec-15 13:31:48

Yes!! This was me until last week! As soon as my daughter's sleep got a bit better I got insomnia and real trouble going to sleep after 2/3/4 am would often be up for hours and feel awful the next day. Then her sleep got worse and I still couldn't sleep. So frustrating! My head was racing and I would think about how much lovely sleep I was missing out on when I had already missed out on so much thanks to pregnancy related insomnia and life with a newborn.

I also searched for threads on this and found a recommendation for a book called (I think) the effortless sleep solution. The post explains it in a nutshell as stopping worrying about it. That's it. I read reviews of this book on amazon and they generally agree it really works. Also talks about using affirmations e.g. I will sleep again. So Iwas thinking about buying the book. That night (late last week) woke up at 3am. Tried not to worry about it, told myself even if I didn't go back to sleep til morning I'd feel better, just positive thoughts whenever a negative one snuck in. And it bloody worked! Not instantly but I was asleep within the hour. I also stopped watching the clock and counting night feeds, just trying to de stress about the whole thing. Now I still have periods of brief insomnia but I am sleeping so much better. One long period of being awake 2 nights ago, I did go on my phone after an hour as I was bored, which you shouldn't really do, but I waited til I felt tired and managed to get back to sleep within 2 hours. I have also been trying to meditate by counting breaths, count to 4 breathing in and 8 breathing out when my mind is racing. After my experience I really think it is the worrying that keeps you awake OP as you say in your post. So I really would give not worrying about it a good go. Good luck flowers

nutbrownhare15 Thu 10-Dec-15 13:36:21

I'd feel better after a shower

EvaBING Thu 10-Dec-15 13:39:20

I try to tell myself, that if I just lie there with my eyes closed, I'm getting some rest.

Stay away from all screens.

Reading a book can sometimes nod me off.

Also, a notebook and pen beside bed to write things on (things I might forget to do, which keep me awake trying to remember them!) is great.

By all means chat with GP though. Even just the reassurance that you're ok, could help you.

EvaBING Thu 10-Dec-15 13:40:59

And a godsend is a touch lamp (usually has three levels), and I use the lowest level for reading.

Woodchiponthewall Thu 10-Dec-15 17:32:29

Thank you both for taking the time to reply - it's really reassuring to hear from others!

Nutbrown it is what you describe exactly! The worrying about not sleeping is exactly what is keeping me awake. I shall look up that book and it is great advice to just try and take the stress out.

Eva - you are so right about staying away from screens, really hard to do when you are fed up and lonely in the middle of the night. I will have a book ready.

Sleep is such a battleground for some and I am conscious you can quickly form bad habits, which obviously just leads to more fretting! Fingers crossed for tonight.

EvaBING Fri 11-Dec-15 16:15:37

How did last night go?

Woodchiponthewall Sat 12-Dec-15 06:58:01

Hi Eva, sorry missed this until now.

Things are not going well! Another bad night on Thurs, a few snatches of an hour sleep. I decided to go into the GP's drop in and he was reassuring that all is fine and I'm just adjusting, but he seemed to be suggesting that only after months of this would we have a problem which terrifies me! I spoke to him about Nytol as I am still breastfeeding, and he said to try it for a night or two as long as I don't feed overnight and express. It didn't help on Thurs and last night was even worse - I fell asleep 9.30-10.30pm and haven't slept since. There is no sense in this - partner did night feed in a different room and I had ear plugs so had a good environment.
Really in a vicious cycle now - I am chronically overtired so can't sleep, and spend all my time in bed worrying about not sleeping. Argh!
Any tips/words of encouragement?? Currently looking into relaxation apps. Going to write off Nytol as it isn't really a solution and doesn't work anyway!

Cb148 Sat 12-Dec-15 21:08:52

Op I'm suffering with similar at the moment, even when my DD is asleep I just can't seem to drop off easily. I was doing some research last night & I'm sure I read that if your iron levels are very low that it can affect your sleep, so I intend to get mine checked as I feel so crappy during the day. Could this be a possibility at all?

Woodchiponthewall Sun 13-Dec-15 09:38:36

Thanks Cb, that's interesting - I do take bf supplements but might be worth getting some iron, can't make things worse! I am actually having a really oddly heavy period at the min so hormones must be everywhere and iron may help.
I am now worried I am becoming ill. Had an hours sleep last two nights, this is worse that when ds was newborn. I am incredibly anxious and obsessing all day and night about my lack of sleep. This has hit me from nowhere and completely taken me aback. I cannot seem to relax to sleep as I am too tired. When I nod off I wake an hour later feeling awful. I need to go back to the docs tomorrow am. Perhaps I need an anti-anxiety dose of something. Anyone got any experience of anything that has worked? I would ideally like to carry on bfing, but will have to stop if needs be as I can feel I would be on my way to getting mentally unwell if this continues. Bugger.

Mumtoboys76 Sun 27-Mar-16 08:38:05

Hi hun, how are you doing now? I had my baby in December and suffered with the lack of sleep straight away. I went on antidepressants and they help me on and off. I've just had an amazing spell 3 weeks of fantastic natural sleep but I then came down with a horrible virus and I've gone back to where I started. It is definitely all down to anxiety, worrying about life and not sleeping. It's like ocd, obsessing over the lack of sleep. Would love to know how you are doing hun?

eleanorbuck Sat 16-Apr-16 09:09:43

It's so reassuring reading this as 14 weeks in and it's exactly what's happening here! I can generally get off to sleep but then as soon as the first night feed's happened, bang, no more sleep! Then just worry about not sleeping... I got the audiobook 'the sleep school' which I've been listening too and has helped a bit (last week I had a pretty good week but then regressed again the last two nights).
I agree with NutBrown in that the main cure seems to be don't worry about it as sleep is a natural human thing and should come peacefully - so much easier said than done!
Like woodchip I don't feel depressed or like I'm not coping (except when there were 2 nights with NO sleep at all...)

would be great to hear how any of you guys are getting on? Going to look at 'the effortless sleep solution' now...

Wishing you all sleep sleep sleep!

Abby21 Thu 21-Apr-16 20:57:08

Hey. I was exact same....eventually starting sleeping about 10 months after. Was at end of tether. Then ended up pregnant and 2 months of 1 hour sleep per night plus working and dealing with toddler....he'll on earth.
Went to hypnotist.....listened to Cd he made and after few weeks seems to be helping.....might be worth a try?

Pinkandwhite Fri 22-Apr-16 19:54:10

I suffered with this too and know how awful it is. I'm so sorry you're suffering. I started taking half a unisom tablet at bedtime which worked. I then weaned myself off that and onto a little bit of melatonin and then when my daughter was around 12 months I came off the melatonin and found I could sleep again.

lollyp16 Tue 23-Aug-16 03:27:27

Hi, am really happy that am not alone, please I also need help...my ds is 11weeks old, initially when he was born I was managing very well with the night feed and go back to sleep, but yesterday night I slept around 9pm, but when he woke about 2 round of feed around 12am, I couldn't get back to sleep through out, today night am still awake i haven't getting any sleep since yesterday, my baby his sleeping well now, am really worried & treffied, can I still sleep back, what can I do, have being doing breathing techniques but still not working for me now, I don't want to use any medication...anyone who can help please with what to do....need help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now